Monday, April 21, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 4/21/08
“There is always the mystery.”
(Stephen Elkins-Williams) Science is a way of thinking that holds all material things as tentative. Imagine a circle. Inside is all the stuff we can verify. The infinite area outside of the circle represents the unknown, the mystery. As the circle enlarges, the infinite is still the infinite. Religion helps us organize our thoughts about the mystery. Today’s quote is from a recent article in USA Today. Let me know if you want more. I love a mystery, Don’t you? ;-) Jack

FROM JFREEDSTER: I was expecting to see a Dalai Lama quote

FROM P.B.: I have long believed that though science can not verify faith, still there is nothing incompatable between the two.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: iris dement sings a great song entitled, "let the mystery be". you should look it up.

IRIS SINGS: Sounds like "more" to me. I like organizing the infinite and infinite. My mind is too small to encompass much.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I must be a slow learner. I am totally occupied by the inner circle. I don’t particularly like mysteries or fiction. If I consider the scope of what is known—against what I don’t know—I think I can stay pretty busy. As the circle enlarges at an exponential rate it’s doubtful I may ever see the edge.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Life is becoming more and more a mystery to me....where did I leave my glasses....it's a mystery....why did I come into this room....it's a mystery....where is the remote.....once again, a mystery....did I mail that letter....infinite mystery.....etc etc etc....life is a mystery!

FROM MOLINER, A.E.: You are dating yourself stating you enjoy "I Love a mystery" Wasn't that on Tuesday evenings on WLS Chicago on the Philco Radio? The Shadow Knows, as does Jack Armstrong, and Captain Midnight. I doubt if Tom Mix and Orphan Anne can Recall.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: "I Love a Mystery" sounds like an old radio show. Surely you are too youmg to remember that.

FROM KZB IN COLORADO: Hi! This is well-written (probably because I agree with it!) Ha! This is my favorite part: "As we use science to expand our knowledge, the circle gets bigger. Because its circumference represents the boundary between the known and the unknown, a bigger circle makes us aware of more mystery. Every scientific discovery raises new questions. The mystery, being infinite, is never diminished. Infinity minus one is still infinity."

FROM J.T. IN MINNESOTA: Sounds like "more" to me. I like organizing the infinite and infinite. My mind is too small to encompass much. I continue to appreciate your WW.

FROM MOLINER A.E.: Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present! Live and savor every moment...this is not a dress rehearsal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I think my life's struggle is to grow ever more into loving to love a mystery. And in all that to be at peace in my own creatureliness. When I get an answer to my question I love that too but there's always another question over the horizon.
I would love to see what other quotes you would follow this WW with, Pastor Freed, so at least one mystery could be solved.
Peace,
Sharon