Thursday, April 17, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 4/17/08
“Time is but the stream I go fishin’ in.”
(Thoreau) I’m not into fishin’ for fish, but I do like to hook on to new ideas. Last Sunday the preacher mentioned “The Sandwich Generation.” I hadn’t heard that expression before. These are the parents who have young children to care for, and they’re also responsible to care for their aging parents. You can learn stuff if you go fishin’ for it. ;-) Jack
QUESTION: Do you remember The Banana Man and would like to see him again?

FROM B.D. IN MICHIGAN: I like to fish also, but for food.

FROM M.A. AND RAY IN MICHIGAN: We must be older then you, as we don't remember the banana man - at least not today!!!!

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Your opening quote and your end question reminded me of a striking story I read years ago. If you can find it, read J. D. Salinger's short story "A Perfect Day For Bananafish." JACK'S RESPONSE: Now, that's an interesting story.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: The "Banana Man" was very appealing. Or did I slip up? JACK'S RESPONSE: This reminds me of the girl who said about a blind date:"He was the apple of his mother's eye, but he wasn't appealing to me."

FROM MOLINER A.E.: "I will make you fishers of men, if you follow me." (Jesus Christ) Amen!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: There was nothing like sitting on the banks of the AuSable in front of my parent's house and fishing for trout! Then the DNR designated fly fishing only, and catch and release....and the landowners gave the stretch of river the name of "The Holy Waters". My dad's name was Chappel and his next neighbor were the Blessings! How about that? MORE FROM J.L.: We watched a few programs and the Captain and Mr. Greenjeans was one of our favorites!

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: The Banana Man? --- that's a new one for me.

FROM J.G. IN MINNESOTA: We belonged to a small group, at church, called "The Sandwich Generation" for awhile. Now the group is divided because it became too large and new names have been chosen.
We do not know The Banana Man.

FROM MOLINER LFP: I've heard this "sandwich generation" term lately, as well. Has there ever been a generation that wasn't a "sandwich generation"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, Pastor Freed, and seems like you had a good time-off, enjoyed hearing an interesting sermon. Years ago, at the Blooming, Indiana, little lake Jerry liked to go fishing. I would go with him. He only ever caught one little fish but after a time I realized the whole purpose of it all was really to be able to sit outside there doing nothing but being in nature, enjoying time free from doing and just in being for a while. There was no disappointment in not catching any fish.
Sharon