Monday, January 07, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/7/08
“I’m so depressed today. I just found out this ‘death thing’ applies to me.”
(Steve Martin) You might think that these aren’t WWs, but think again. Is the realization that life is finite depressing to you? If not, what word would you choose to describe it? Steve Martin’s comedy causes my brain to work. ;-) Jack

FROM L.H. IN MARCO: I would think that a non Christians would be very depressed thinking of death because that is the end in their mind.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: A Fanningism, "Death is the living end!"

FROM N.L. IN FLORIDA: THIS IS QUITE GOOD.

FROM E.A. IN MICHIGAN: In answer to your question----"not at all." I use the philosophy to live as if today is your last day on earth----and remember you will answer to someone or something some day.

FROM E.P.: Yes, it's very depressing-- will I have enuf time to fix up all the stuff I've screwed up?

RESPONSE FROM JACK: How about this from The Rubaiyat?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it
-- Omar Khayyam The healing begins when we choose to move on. TODAY IS A NEW DAY. LET US REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: If you think heaven is better than life, or at least not worse, it helps.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Oh man, I wouldn't even want to think about staying "down here" for eternity. I'm glad death applies to me...I just hope it waits a little....well, quite a bit longer for me!

FROM J.T. IN MICHIGAN: How about "overwhelming". It's not that I am finite, it's that family and friends are.How about "not in control".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, on my depressed days, the idea that my life is finite brings kind of a relief. One guy I know, in speculating if there is actually reincarnation, stated emphatically that if there would be, he would be really mad. This isn't too grim though because I have found (so far anyway) that my depressions are finite. The greatest blessing would be to die not depressed.