Monday, January 28, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/28/08
One of the things you will probably remember well is any time you forgive and forget.”
(Franklin P. Jones) Forgiving is sometimes hard, but forgetting is harder. It’s good that we have a God who forgives and then has self-induced amnesia. ;-) Jack


FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: God having amnesia? My pastor once tossed off casually an aside in one of our Bible studies, whatever we were discussing I've quite forgotten, but I distinctly remember him saying he believed that when we die all of our past won't even be a memory, it will be gone like amnesia. For those of us who face that great temptation to hang on to our sins, to clutch on to our past or to try to force other people to hang on to their sins, to be stuck in their pasts, and to hinder the transforming work of Jesus among us, that idea of God having amnesia really does seem to go against our own sense of justice. It's a struggle to trust God's sense of justice and I think the best way we can do it is in the Church community.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I think we forgive precisely because we cannot forget. If we forgot,
what is the need for forgiveness?


MORE FROM CJL: But we don't. We just have to not hold it against people. I struggle with that quite a bit.

FROM L.K. IN ILLINOIS: I want that self-induced amnesia !!

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: But if you remembered, then you didn't forget. Hm................? But that usually only happened with my kids growing up.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: When my son was first learning to say grace before meals, he would say, "God is Grace, God is good, let us thank Him for our food." I remember saying to him, "And, it's God Is great, not God is Grace..." But he said back to me, "No, God is Grace!" I have always remembered that prayer and how correct he was. Thank God for His saving Grace which makes forgiveness such a blessing. I'm sure God has a very short memory, much much shorter than mine. I'm not so good at that part. But, I try!

No comments: