Monday, January 21, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/21/08
“The time is always right to do what is right.”
(MLK, Jr) I remember the beginning of the MLK era. As a young pastor, I agreed with what he was saying. However, I thought that he should not push so hard. “Take your time!” How wrong I was, and how right he was. Now, I am proud of my friends who went to march with him. Even today, there is a time to do what it right. ;-) Jack

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: I'll bet that you would never guess that I led a march in Detroit and was responsible for the integration of Immanuel, Detroit. I thought MLK was right on. I don't think some of his successors have been as wise. You can be overly zealous and then you turn into a Zealot and we know how far they got in biblical times!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: He was very wise....as is his saying....it's alway time to do what is right...there was and never will be the right time for wrong.

FROM PR P.H. IN ZONA: Jack, many now think that we have focused too much on the I Have A Dream Speech (sort of sentimentalizing the past) and forgotten the really hard work of fighting racism. By the way, its sunny and 66 today in Arizona. We are here for two weeks. Very nice indeed. (many I should back home fighting racism!!) Blessings

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i was told yesterday by my brother that my pacifist ways are a cop-out and selfish because i choose not to defend myself with violent means. we were, at the same time, having a discussion on gun control. he loves me dearly and replied that he would "fight to the death" to defend me (and his guns). i thanked him for his love, but added that he is not responsible for my protection. it is way past time that we start using firm words of truth and love to resolve conflict. violence only begets violence. if we choose to use it to defend ourselves, we are no better than the ones who choose to use it against us. the time to teach and model this behavior is now. it is right. period dot!

FROM CWR IN BALTIMORE: ....those were the days, weren't they? I got in the middle of it in South Carolina and later , as a member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, met King and Bayerd Rustin and worked with them to get Carl Stokes elected Mayor of Cleveland, Ohio.

FROM A.W. IN ILLINOIS: Jack, I grew up in Chicago, and like you, I thought Dr. King pushed too
hard. During internship, I heard him give a lenten midweek sermon at Central lUtheran Church in Minneapolis. I have never forgotten his powerful eloquence. Thanks for this reminder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Pastor Freed, for choosing these Winning Words from Martin Luther King, Jr., today and for also couching them within the whole context that we are still dealing with the struggle within our country. May God help each of us to do what is right at the right time.
Peace,
Sharon