Thursday, January 17, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/17/08
“Enjoy when you can. Endure when you must.”
(Goethe) Two words stand out for me in this quote….Enjoy and Endure. For most people, life seems to be a combination of both. My mind allows me to remember more joys than sorrows. I also try to work hard at being an empathetic person. What does Wolfgang say to you? ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: A Christian can reflect more on the joys than the sorrows, having been given so much to enjoy from God, and finding strength from Him to prevail during our sorrows. That strength is just another of His gifts enabling us to leave our hardships behind. In my own life I remember more of the good than the bad, during my childhood, where I've resided, where I've been employed, and during my military service. There were troubled times, but they get little notice now.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Sometimes it's hard to endure the enjoyment.

FROM CWR IN BALTIMORE: .....there's a country song which goes something like "when you're goin' through Hell, just keep on goin' and you may get out 'fore the Devil even knows your name....." This is not as sophisticated as Goethe, but as profound........

AND HERE'S THE SONG! Well you know those timesWhen you feel like there's a sign there on your backSays I don't mind if ya kick meSeems like everybody hasThings go from bad to worseYou'd think they can't get worse than thatAnd then they doYou step off the straight and narrow And you don't know where you areUse the needle of your compassTo sew up your broken heartAsk directions from a genieIn a bottle of Jim BeamAnd she lies to youThat's when you learn the truthIf you're going through hellKeep on going, don't slow downIf you're scared, don't show itYou might get outBefore the devil even knows you're thereWell I been deep down in that darknessI been down to my last matchFelt a hundred different demonsBreathing fire down my backAnd I knew that if I stumbledI'd fall right into the trap that they were laying, yeahBut the good newsIs there's angels everywhere out on the streetHolding out a hand to pull you back up on your feetThe one's that you've been dragginig for so longYou're on your kneesYou maight as well be prayingGuess what I'm sayingIf your going through hellKeep on going, don't slow downIf you're scared don't show itYou might get outBefore the devil even knows you're thereYeah, If you're going through hellKeep on moving, face that fireWalk right through itYou might get outBefore the devil even knows you're thereIf you're going through hellKeep on going, don't slow downIf you're scared don't show itYou might get outBefore the devil even knows you're thereYeah, If you're going through hellKeep on moving, face that fireWalk right through itYou might get outBefore the devil even knows you're thereYeah, you might get outBefore the devil even knows you're there.

FROM L.P. IN ILLINOIS: Good Morning. I like this quote a lot. I'm going to print it out and put it on the bathroom mirror. I'm adding, "Change what you can."

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: God has GIVEN me 80% enjoyment, 20% endurance. Not bad. If I am to go tomorrow, I'll be glad about where I've been and where I'm going.

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: I enjoyed this post ... thanks for sending it, and goodnight.

FROM N.E. IN MICHIGAN: You work hard at being an empathetic person.
I have been told I am empathetic, and I often find myself wishing I weren't. I am sure it is a good trait, but it is very difficult sometimes. I actually have a very difficult time even watching the evening news.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Sounds to me Wolfie had to endure more than he enjoyed. Lately, I am just enduring and struggling to enjoy. Enjoyment is slowly winning the battle though as it usually does. It's hard to "put on a happy face" each day but it definitely pays off. I fondly remember more joys than sorrows as sorrows pain is washed away by enduring memories! Happy moments of God speaks today!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: A good election year attitude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say I've learned to enjoy things I never would have imagined to be enjoyable and endured things I never would have thought possible for me to be able to endure. It's only in hindsight after having lived a while longer that I can see I've reached a little further to "enjoy when I can and endure when I must."
Peace,
Sharon