Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 4/4/07
“We did not inherit this land from our fathers. We are borrowing it from our children.”
(Amish Proverb) The Amish, who work so close to the soil and who are so devout in the practice of their religion, know something about the environment that seems to escape many of us. The song goes: “This world is not my own; I’m just a passing through, etc.” ;-) Jack


FROM GENIE: Reminds me of this......."For the beauty of the earth. For the beauty of the skies. For the love which from our birth , Over and around us lies. Christ, our God to thee we raise ... This our sacrifice of praise!" (it also randomly reminds me of the time Ruth, Mary and John almost didn't make it through their 'special music' trio of "There is a Green Hill Far Away". They got the giggles....pretty funny.)

FROM REV. J.S. IN MICHIGAN: I visited the Amish Museum in Shipshewanna last week. It is really
an excellent museum. I have a lot of sympathy with their understandings.
I do not accept re-baptism. I don't think I need it. I also think that we were sent "into" the world to change it and not to avoid it. However, to villify these people and persecute them is a crime against the Lord. We need to do some repentance on that subject.

FROM THE JUDGE IN MICHIGAN: Not only are "we borrowing it from our children" we are saddeling them with the lasting results of our actions which could carry over to our children's children and their childen ad infinitum. We have made a mess of the fuure to come.

FROM L.H. IN FLORIDA: I really disagree with that one. Look at all the inventions and progress we inherited from our fathers. Also, we inherited the freedom we have due to their efforts; we could be speaking German or Japanese if it wasn't for them.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Hi, this is a good philosophy. I think they should use this theme as a course to teach all children, large and small, also in Sunday School. We can all learn from different ethnic groups, if our eyes see and our ears truely hear. Here is another thought,"listen to our granddchildren.

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: Yes the amish know something that escapes many of us – So does Wendell Berry, or for that matter, the Old Testament! (with its emphasis on the Israelites as sojourners!)

No comments: