Thursday, April 26, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 4/26/07
“To find fault is easy; to do better may be difficult.”
(Plutarch) Plutarch was born in 46 AD, so it appears that people were finding fault in those days, too. He was a Greek historian, and his writings influenced American Transcendentalists, including Emerson and Thoreau. Now, go and look up, transcendentalism, if you have to. ;-) Jack

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: Agreed. I have studied Emerson in college, seminary and throughout life. I have also visited the "scene" of the NE transcendentalists.
I still can't transcend my pettiness.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Definition: “A literary and philosophical movement, associated with Ralph Waldo Emerson and Margaret Fuller, asserting the existence of an ideal spiritual reality that transcends the empirical and scientific and is knowable through intuition.” Comment: A movement that transcends above easily identifiable and scientific evidence (math, economics, history); it sounds like modern politics. Social utopianism repackaged for the mid nineteenth century.

FROM P.O. IN DETROIT: People are people are people!

FROM MOLINER DALE: Jack -- great one to send to your L-wing friends!!!

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: How to "transcend" the natural/revealed discussion? Transcendance/immanence........where and how to be available so God may find us in practical terms? I've never thought I would find God; rather, out of baptism, he found me long ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to perceive fault-finding of others and also of oneself in an accurate and truthful way. I've been told I'm too hard on myself and, through the faith community's intervention have been learning to see myself more gently. I'm learning to do better with others too. I feel the larger truth in the Church transcends my own limited ways and thoughts.