Monday, February 12, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 2/12/07
“You know, my faith is one that admits some doubt.”
(Barack Obama) I’m reminded of the story in the Bible where a father brings his son to Jesus for healing. Jesus says: “All things are possible to the one who believes. Do you believe?” The father replies, “I believe, help my unbelief,” and his son is healed. I’m generally suspicious of those people who seem to have all of the answers about God. ;-) Jack


FROM A JUDGE IN MICHIGAN: AS well we shoud all be.

FROM FRIEND, D.S.: Jack, one of MY favorite sayings from the Apostle Paul, "Lord, help me with my disbelief". Sometimes I feel like I am too analytical but I have a problem with just "blindly believing". The book that I read recently, "Dinner with a PerfectStranger" by David Gregory was especially meaningful to me and answered some main questions that I have had and has made a profound change in me.

FROM TOM L: "Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought". Graham Greene

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I think sensing God leads to asking about God, not necessarily the reverse. Faith precedes the miracle of belief...faith begets faith......?????

MORE FROM L.K: Whenever I've had really tough times in life, it came when I was not searching.

FROM REV. JOHN IN MICH: Does that make you suspicious of Jesus? Interesting. There is a message there somewhere...

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: I have always wondered whether “doubting Thomas” in fact, truly knew, more so than any of the others, that if this was really true (Resurrection) then NOTHING WAS THE SAME. He knew the stakes were big. So instead of accepting at face value what he was told, he had to doubt, he had to be certain… His doubt was the door that opened the way to a faith experience that gave him certainty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's enough of an adventure to learn all about oneself ... afterwards one can focus on knowing everything else. I'm reminded of the "beam in thine own eye" precedes the "other".