Monday, April 30, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 4/30/18
“Often when you think you’re at the end of something,  you’re at the beginning of something else.”  (Fred Rogers)  My favorite line from Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood was, “Won’t you be my neighbor?”  Fred Rogers did a great job of helping children to understand what it means to be a good neighbor.  It’s more about “us” than it is about “them.”  At our house, we try to show up at the newcomer’s door with a welcome and a pie and some ice cream.   ;-)  Jack

FROM SANDI:  Mr. Rogers was amazing. One of my favorite quotes, shared with me by my very wise son, goes something like this:‘There isn’t anyone you couldn’t learn to love, if only you knew their story’.I try to consider that everyone has a story.  (Although I have to admit, some people are hard to love!! 🙃)====JACK:  I once read..."The saying is, 'Love your neighbor,',,,but you haven't met my neighbor."  Yes, everyone has a story.  In school a good teacher becomes a better teacher when she/he understands some of the (good/bad) baggage that the student carries.  Difficult, but not impossible. ====S:  And that is also a reason that teachers/counselors are often dismissed from serving on a jury!!! They look for cause instead of focusing on the crime! The question is: ‘Did s/he do it or not?’ (Not about their horrible childhood, etc.)====JACK:  I've always been excused from jury duty, too.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  sounds like a good idea to me...  even at 5 in the morning:):) ===JACK:  Early or late, any time is the best time to do a good deed.

ROM HONEST JOHN:  Good heavens!    You never should mix ice cream and pie.    That kind of thinking comes straight out of Moline.====JACK:  It might be difficult for someone from that "other" city to understand something as sophisticated as pie ala mode.====JOHN:  "Real" pie is coconut cream....lemon meringue.....butterscotch cream.   ....no ice cream needed or wanted.....
btw....my Dad had one of the first Dairy Queen franchises in the country....on 7th St in EM.....rented it out to Dan Ligino....also, I loved to stop at Whitey's on the way home from Augie....also Downing Dairy in Rock Island....great ice cream..ever been to Ray's in Royal Oak?====JACK:  Any kind of pie is fine with me.  The Medd family of Moline were partners in the original development of Dairy Queen.  They were members of our church and one of the sons was a classmate of mine.  Your dad seemed to be involved in a lot of interesting stuff.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Do you also bring a few extra forks to your neighbors house with the pie and ice cream :-)====JACK:  I've never been invited in (at the time).  However, they've often said, "If you ever need anything, give us a call.)

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We have the same neighbors as we had in 1970. Everyone watches out for everyone else and helps when help is needed. How about the game today when the Rays come to Detroit!====JACK:  FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We have the same neighbors as we had in 1970. Everyone watches out for everyone else and helps when help is needed. How about the game today when the Rays come to Detroit!====JACK:  We moved into our house in 1969.  Everyone around us is a "new" neighbor...Jewish, Russian, Indian, Chaldean, ????.  2 blocks from school, from library, police dept.  3 blocks from Catholic Church and synagogue.  5 minutes from Lutheran Church and fire dept (EMS).  ...and it's a beautiful day for an (outdoors) ballgame.====SHIRL:  That is all very interesting. Our neighborhood was and is mostly military because McDill did  not have housing for all of the large families. Today we still have many flags on large poles with light! Go Rays!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Of all the little programs we let the kids watch, My favorite was Mr. Roger’s.  He was always so calm and soothing.  The kids and I (sometimes) watched Friendly Giant and Captain Kangaroo.   Andy did not like tv and still doesn’t.  But he would watch those programs. ====JACK:  I like The Banana Man on Capt K.  My son and I thought that he was a riot, but the girls thought that his act was "dumb."

Captain Kangaroo The Banana Man! - YouTube


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Good neighbors are such a blessing!  I seem to keep so busy that I don't "neighbor" as much as I should, but if New neighbors move in, I usually take a big box of our Melo-Cream doughnuts and a welcoming note. Good for breakfast, or just with a cup of coffee or glass of milk! It is  always appreciated. As  for Mr.  Rogers quote, when you end something, there is now time for something new...so many more "opportunities" than there is time, it seems! He was wise and gentle soul!====JACK:  Did anyone welcome you when you moved into your new neighborhood?  BTW, do you mean to tell me that Melo-Cream donuts are still being sold.  I remember the shop on 16th St in Moline...and later on in Downtown Moline.====OAKS:  Really?! Yes, they are still very popular in Springfield! Delicious!   I was warmly welcomed into my new neighborhood, and especially the folks next door, and man across the street were, and are, very helpful to me! I am blessed!!

No comments: