Monday, December 11, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/11/17
“We live in a world where we’ve forgotten to enjoy the journey.”  (Alicia Hill)  When our children were small and we went on car trips, the journey was more enjoyable when we played “I SPY”…clothes on the line, red barn, dump truck, etc.  Life’s journey can be more enjoyable when we focus on the positives we see…a Salvation Army bell ringer, people exchanging smiles, a courteous driver, etc.  As long as we’re on life’s road, let’s make the trip enjoyable.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Amen to that too!    last nite we went to a small Lutheran church (Faith in AV) for their Sunday School program.  nothing too professional about it but those that told the story (which is ever new) were so sweet,  humble, and sincere.  it was a joy to behold.  along with good goodies afterward! ====JACK:  Once, at a S.S. Christmas program, I remember the shepherds coming down the aisle and hearing a grandma say out loud:  "That's my bathrobe he's wearing."

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I really like this quote, Jack! Another way to express this idea is “take time to smell the flowers.”  One of the things I’m really trying to work on is to really listen when someone is talking with me instead of trying to think of what to say next. Thomas Friedman expresses that concept in his book, too.====JACK:  "Thinking ahead" is what some Type A persons do.  "Engage brain before opening mouth" is what some of us need to do.

FROM JLF:  JC and I played car bingo on our way through the UP this summer. He spied a tiny GB Packers decal on a car in Escanaba and won the game!====JACK:  A Packers decal in the UP is too easy.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Reading these words I think of the war torn countries and wonder if the average citizens ever know what the journey is – other than survival.  We are so blest in this country even with our dissentions that I sometimes think we forget to think about other people’s journey or adventure in life and what it might be like for them.  A smile is such an easy thing to give; a greeting of “Good Morning” or “Hello” might be the only words another person hears in his or her day from another human being.  I’m off to enjoy today’s journey with Bob.====JACK:  Not only do we have different journeys, but we enjoy journeys in different ways.  Camping is not for me...Give me a Holiday Inn.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  WOW Pastor Freed,,  Another winner.!!!!!! I am having lunch  with two ladies today that I have not seen in 60 years. Old high school friends and my thought before I read your WW was to concentrate on positive memories and stay away from medical issues etc. Your WW gave me a great  way to introduce conversation.  Enjoy the journey.  Another home run for the Old but wise Pastor!!!!!!!!!  You should be in a robe with a long beard sitting at the mouth of a cave on a mountain top!!!!!!!!! WOW what visual!!! ====JACK:  I'm spending some winter weeks in Minnesota.  None of that sissy Florida weather for me.

FROM CC:  No time to stop and smell the roses or appreciate our fellow man's talents or needs.
Dick Lane is a 88 year old friend that I met at old guys basketball.  I gave it up with a shoulder injury, but Dick plays on and works hard at using his time to help many others in need.  Dick has a way of making everyone feel they are important and talented.====JACK:  Jack LaLanne was like Dick, also.  But, I read that Jack died in 2011.  The lyrics of the song, Grandfather's Clock, are so true...
spoken from experience.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  "The good life has a great deal to do with contentment and satisfaction---and nothing whatever to do with that fool's gold called happiness." one of many quotes by Essayist Joseph Epstein, which is a good point to ponder, but the one by GK Chesterton may be more meaningful in our present state of affairs (no pun intended!): "Men do not differ much about things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."   Ah me, I  do still enjoy life's journey, as there are many things to be thankful for: Like the old song says, "You gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the Affirmative, and don't mess with Mr. Inbetween!" So be it!!====JACK:  The old-time lyricists had a way with words, didn't they?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Amen.====JACK: The journey's even better when you fly for free.  Lucky you!

FROM OPUTHOUSE JUDY:  Amen!  Live to share those free smiles!====JACK:  "When you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you."

FROM CS:  Ok Jack I see you posted this one at 247am. Have you been staying out too late at the bars again??! 😂😂😂😂 Merry Christmas - may you feel the love and joy of the season each and every moment along the journey!====JACK:  My plan is to get the words out by 5 am.  But if I wake up earlier, I take the time to send them out then...and go back to sleep.  So, now you know!

FROM TARMART REV:  Ours!? First one to find in alphabetical order the letters placed on the car's license plats was the winner!!====JACK:  That sounds like a good one.  BTW, I sat for a while today in the Target Coffee Shop, but no one came up to talk with me.  What's your secret?

No comments: