Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 12/21/16
“All people want is for someone to listen.”  (Hugh Elliott)  Do you remember the song, “All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth?”  What’s the gift you want?  Today’s quote intrigues me.  In this fast-paced world, there are lots and lots of words, but too little time to listen to what some of those closest to us are saying.  After reading this message, try “listening” to the words being spoken by those around you.  It might be just the gift they’ve wanted.    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  Real listening ... the active kind... can be hard, especially in a world of multitasking.  I heard of this CNN story on "wait wait don't tell me" this week: "Is 'phubbing' ruining your relationship?" Worth a min to read and consider.  Just Listening ... not needing to find a "solution" ... is something my husband and I sometimes ask each other for. Also hard to do. ====JACK:  I suppose "listening" can be one of the tasks of a multi-tasker.  I'm guilty of it at times.

FROM TOASTY TOES:  Amen! Very well stated.====JACK:  Originally I had intended to send this as the Winning Words for today...“If it’s causing you more pain than happiness, it might be time to let it go.”  (Anon)   I once saw an art glass slogan hanging from a light fixture…”Let Go, and Let God.”  Kenny Rogers sings: “You gotta know when to fold ‘em.”  But, how’s it done?  I read some suggestions.  1st: You gotta decide!  2nd: Write down your pain.  3rd: Don’t let the past control you.  4th: Focus on Where do I go from here?  5th: Do something different.  6th: Ask God to direct you.    ;-)  Jack....I listened to my inner-voice and did a re-write.

FROM DR HR:  This is so true, And add this to your list, a teacher once told me that if you ask the right questions and listen, really listen to the answers you can diagnose 99% of a patients problems without running any tests. I am not sure of the 99% part but it is true about asking the right questions and listening to the answers.====JACK:  Listening is important in "my business," too.  Seeing body language is also important.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My 6 yr. old "great-g.daughter is singing that song this Xmas, having lost her two front teeth. We've laughed together about it often. This is a good reminder, Jack. We could all improve our listening skills; my, how we love to talk, but listen? It is  truly an art, and so needed, as WW reminds us!! My daughter Sarah stood up on a chair when she was a little girl and loudly proclaimed she was trying to tell us something, over the hubub of family chatter! That got our attention ...Thanks!====JACK:  Maybe the Baptists don't have this in their songbook, but this Tanzanian song is familiar to ELCA Lutherans.
Listen, listen, God is calling

Refrain:  Listen, listen, God is calling  through the Word inviting,
offering forgiveness, comfort and joy. (repeat)

Jesus gave his mandate;  share the good news  that he came to save us  and set us free.
Refrain.

Let none be forgotten  throughout the world.  In the triune name of God  go and baptize.
Refrain.

Help us to be faithful,  standing steadfast,  walking in your precepts,  led by your Word.
Refrain.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i hear you!====JACK:  That's all I'm asking.

FROM KANSAN DON:  Our daughter-in-law, Ellen Conrad, made a Christmas gift to a member of their congregation of one of her kidneys!  Merry and blessed Christmas for both of them.====JACK:  That gives new meaning to the last stanza of "In the bleak mid-winter."
What can I give Him,    Poor as I am?  If I were a shepherd    I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man    I would do my part,  Yet what I can I give Him,     Give my kidney.

FROM SWEET SUE:  I just want to let you know how much I take from your winning words. I really try to practice the messages you are teaching.====JACK:  It's surprising, but your name crosses my mind from time to time when I send out File L6, knowing that you're in it.  I'm glad to know that you like the words.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  Listening--God gave us two ears and only one mouth for a reason.  I always liked that quote.====JACK:  Nature has also given us the capability of tuning people out... and also the capability of keeping our mouth shut.  Have you heard the expression..."Well shut my mouth"?  Some cartoon character would say it.


No comments: