Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 11/22/16
“Everything is beautiful once the eye likes the view.”  (Finnish Proverb)  A similar Latin Proverb says that “an ass is generally attractive to another ass.”  Perhaps you know of couples where you wonder, “What does she see in him?”  God has made us in such a way that we are individuals; we are the same, but not the same.  The French have a saying, viva la difference-- appreciate the diversity.  Maybe that helps explain the results of the recent election.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Alan Taylor says in American Colonies that Diversity and Liberty are at the heart of the American colonial experience right from the very beginning.====JACK:  We hear a lot about diversity (and that is good), but not so much about liberty.  BTW, do you rem,ember that there used to be a magazine called, Liberty?

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Nice try jack. This time the explanation is more complicated. The results more dire.====JACK:  If you knew my clients as I do, you would understand.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Unfortunately, we seem to have evolved to a point in this country to where many DON'T appreciate the diversity.  Instead they categorize people into groups (Muslim, African American, Latino, LBGTQ, et al) that they consider inferior or unacceptable.  The result is a division in this country that seems to be getting wider and deeper.  It would be great if we could get to the point where we "judged" people (as MLK said) by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin, their religious beliefs, or other things that make them "different" from us.  It also seems to have had the effect for some of extreme nationalism, which as history has shown us, can be a very dangerous position that ultimately leads to armed conflict.====JACK:  Change begins with one.  There's an old Sunday School song that has this chorus...
So you bring the one next to you,  And I’ll bring the one next to me;
In all kinds of weather, we’ll all work together,  And see what can be done.
If you’ll bring the one next to you,  And I bring the one next to me,
In no time at all we’ll have them all,  So win them, win them, one by one.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We are so blessed in this country to have beauty surround us...it is devastating to think of all the beautiful and ancient treasures that have been destroyed in fighting wars, in many other countries!  As WW points out today, "Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder."  That's probably a good thing!  With thankful hearts we can cherish many kinds of beauty! (This week it might be the Thanksgiving feast!)====JACK:  We need more people who will join Mr. Rogers in singing..."It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!"  I like that song.

FROM TARMART REV:  ...a lot of explanations floating around nowadays...I've just deleted all my news apps (including Fox) from my phone, out of frustration of knowing the truth from biased reporting. 0;-/====JACK:  It's been over a month since I've watched the news on TV.  I still read the daily papers and look at some daily snippets from the NY Times.  Sometimes I believe that TV news manipulates us like puppets.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We are so very different yet so alike!  It still so strange to be around my siblings.  We all grew up in the same house, same parents same everything but we are so very different.  The "Chappel Girls" all have the classic Danish look with the high cheeks and the Danish nose but boy are we different is so many ways.  My brother is an exact replica if my maternal grandfather.  We celebrate all of our blessings!====JACK:  What did you see in Gary, or he in you?

FROM OD:  Appropriately for this time of year, I remember one of your messages in its entirely. It's the simple prayer, "Thank you." I have carried that with me ever since you sent it, and I repeat it most days. So I will say to you at Thanksgiving time: Thank you.====JACK:  My sister gave out an extra piece of candy to trick or treaters who said "Thank you."  One who didn't say, "Thank you," held out his bag for an extra piece.  Did he get it?  What would you have done?










No comments: