Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 8/2/16
“I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.”  (Plutarch)  Did you ever memorize, “I have a little shadow?”  A line reads, “He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head.”  Think of the friends that you and I have.  In many ways they are like us.  “Lord, when all my work is done, grant me at least one old friend,” sang Willie Nelson.   Thank God, when you’re able to live the song.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".   When push comes to shove, he is the One who is always there for you====JACK:  I like these lines which describe such a friend...Can we find a friend so faithful?...He knows our every weakness...In his arms he'll take and shield you.

FROM TRIHARDER:  Politically, there seem to be many shadows.  People follow one line, chew it, swallow it, digest it. Almost no dissent from the party line. Shame.====JACK:  Party or Principle?  Sometimes the situation comes to the point where there is no other choice...principle!

FROM JANFOR:  A couple years ago, Lydia (our youngest) dressed as Peter Pan’s shadow. Her best friend dressed as Peter Pan. It was one of my favorite Halloween costumes the kids ever wore. ====JACK:  That was a clever idea.  I would have given them a package of Oreos to share.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We all learned many poems and songs in our car when we were little.  "My shadow" was one of them....."Oh how I live to up in the air up in the air so high, oh I think it's the most wonderful thing any child could try."  I might have some of the words wrong but we used to say that over and over as we were swinging.  The jump rope rhymes were numerous and we lived to jump for hours and hours.  If no one was around, I would tie it to the garage handle and jump myself.  Our friends are still with us in memory if nothing else.  I still have two old friends; one I have known since birth and one from about 4.  They are life long friends and I have many more from church.  I love my friends and am deeply grateful for them.  Thank you God!====JACK:  While the I Phone is a great invention, some of the great childhood experiences have been pushed aside, because of it.




No comments: