Friday, March 04, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 3/4/16
“Our knowledge is a little island in a great sea of unknowledge.”  (Isaac Bashevis Singer)  Antarctica has been called, “the most unexplored place on earth.”  We could also nominate the oceans or human behavior…you name it.  When the early flat-earth mapmakers came to the edge of a map, they’d write: “Here be God.”  In this life, when we don’t understand things, let’s be content to label it, “Here be God.”  I have yet to know all.  That’s what faith is about.    ;-)  Jack

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Thumbs up on this one.====JACK:  When I was in college a "thumbs up" sign indicated that a hitchhiker wanted a ride.  I used it a few times.  Now, I can't remember the last time I saw a hitchhiker.====CS:  I don’t think people hitchhike anymore….too dangerous for both the hiker and the driver!====JACK:  I was part of a fraternity hazing.  4 of us were dressed as convicts (outfits with stripes) and left by the side of the road out in the country at 2 am.  We didn't know where we were.  After a long time a car came down the road and we held out our thumbs asking for a ride.  The car stopped, and we all got in.  We sped along, and I looked at the speedometer which was pushing 100 mph.  I then realized that the driver was drunk.  Miraculously, we made it back to town safely.  Yes, hitchhiking was dangerous in those days, too.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  My brother Rob was a surveyor for government. He told us many times the only place in the world that hadn't been walked and surveyed was the Upper Pennisula.  It had been surveyed by sattelite, but never walked as the forests and swamps were so thick, surveyors couldn't physically get through.  I'm not sure if that is still true but it wasn't done when Rob was surveying.    Did you know every little island in a river, stream or lake is owned by the government but you could purchase them?  Robs wife Pam also worked for the government buying and selling property.   There was a grassy island on the Au Sable River in Grayling in front my dad's house.  Pam told us how we could purchase that little island.  In Cadillac, along Lake Cadillac people live in the one side of the lake and a road separates them from a strip of land.  Most of the homes had docks out in front of their house on this strip of land.  An attorney found out the land did not belong to the home owners.  He purchased that long thin strip of land and proceeded to get rent from all of the home owners who had placed docks on that strip.   There are little islands of land and knowledge which will never be used up.====JACK:  It would be hard to survey Antarctica, because the ice cover is at least two miles thick and has been there for over a million years.

FROM THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR:  Belief even though we don't see.====JACK:  I had a friend who had plenty of faith in the religious sense, but he would never travel in an airplane.  I don't have that fear, but I sometimes wonder, "What if....?"


No comments: