Friday, February 28, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 2/28/14
“We know what we are, but know not what we may be.”  (Shakespeare)  Did you have a dream of what you wanted to be when you grew up?  I wanted to be a fireman and never thought of becoming a pastor.  Life has interesting twists and turns, doesn’t it?  I believe in “free will,” but I also believe that God gives a nudge now and then.  Today, we are where we are!  About tomorrow,…Doris Day sang, “Que sera, sera.”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Life (our time on earth) seems to be a huge crucible that holds everyone, molding and refining each one of us into the gold we are. Maybe this is why our latter days are called the golden years.===JACK:  Let's hope it's not "old" fool's gold.

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I wanted to run my Dad's Feed Store and/or be a farmer....so gardening has become an avocation.====JACK:  Actually, instead of becoming a seller of the seed, you followed the parable and became a sower of the seed.====JOHN:  And, a Caregiver to the growing plants...still do that in the garden.====JACK:  You're right.  It's one thing to sow the seed, but to be a true farmer (pastor) the plants that come up need to be cared for.

 FROM TARMART REV:  The best is yet to come for both of us, Jack! Maybe tomorrow, if God wills!! ====JACK:  That's the optimistic way to look at the future.

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  You're a GREAT pastor!   With your personality & wisdom I'm sure you've subdued many "fire storm" marriage relationships.====JACK:  Whatever good comes from my ministry is because of the power and grace of God.  I'm reminded of this song....
My God and I will go for aye together,
We’ll walk and talk as good friends should and do;
This earth will pass, and with it common trifles,
But God and I will go unendingly;
This earth will pass, and with it common trifles,
But God and I will go unendingly.

 FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  So thus the chaplain role, see how things somehow work out====JACK:  One of the sentences I often use when talking with people (after praying with them) is, "It'll work out," and it usually does.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  You became a fireman after all. You save people.====JACK:  God does the saving; I simply try to raise the ladder.====PFC:  That still makes you a fireman.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I wanted to be a forest ranger but there were no woman allowed at the time.  So I became a legal secretary. How times have changed!====JACK:  Yes, times have changed.  Now, you could even be a pastor, head of General Motors, or maybe President of the United States.

 FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO:  Jack, I'm still wondering what God has in mind for me.  I'm still "here" for some reason....I really believe that. You and my brother Roland (now Paul Roland) I believe are about the same age....you probably knew him.  . FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO:  Jack, I'm still wondering what God has in mind for me.  I'm still "here" for some reason....I really believe that. You and my brother Roland (now Paul Roland) I believe are about the same age....you probably knew him. FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO:  Jack, I'm still wondering what God has in mind for me.  I'm still "here" for some reason....I really believe
that. You and my brother Roland (now Paul Roland) I believe are about the same age....you probably knew him. He has been in an alzheimer's care facility for the last year or so.  I still talk to him and I try to bring up things he might recall from the "old days".  He actually looks good, but boy, what the mind can do for you.  I hope the good Lord doesn't have that in store for me. He has been in an alzheimer's care facility for the last year or so.  I still talk to him and I try to bring up things he might recall from the "old days".  He actually looks good, but boy, what the mind can do for you.  I hope the good Lord doesn't have that in store for me.
He has been in an alzheimer's care facility for the last year or so.  I still talk to him and I try to bring up things
he might recall from the "old days".  He actually looks good, but boy, what the mind can do for you.  I hope the good Lord doesn't have that in store for me.====JACK:  I'm sorry to hear about your brother.   I'll be offering a prayer for him today.  We don't what's in store from one day to the next.  All we can do is put our trust in God's grace.  One of the hymns we used to sing at Trinity-Moline has brought me comfort.  Perhaps it will relate to you.    OUR TIMES ARE IN THY HAND   - William F. Lloyd (adapted)-
Our times are in Thy hand;  Father, we wish them there;
Our life, our souls, our all we leave  Entirely to Thy care.
Our times are in Thy hand,  Whatever they may be;
Pleasing or painful, dark or bright;  As best they seem to Thee.
Our times are in Thy hand;  Why should we doubt or fear?
Our Father’s hand will never cause  His child a needless tear.
Our times are in Thy hand,  O Lord, our Advocate!
Nor is that hand outstretched in vain,  For us to supplicate.
Our times are in Thy hand;  We’ll always trust in Thee.
Till we have left this weary land,  And all Thy glory see.
 ====DS:  If God has a face, I'll bet he smiles when he sees how people like you appreciate his blessings..

 FROM WISCONSIN JEANNE:  I am so blessed.  From the time I was a little girl I wanted to be a wife, mommy, and teacher.  I am and have been all those things and then God REALLY blessed me with something I had not even thought of when I was young - GRANDCHILDREN!====JACK:  If God has a face, I'll bet he smiles when he sees how people like you appreciate his blessings..

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Reminds me of the plaque I have with "Please be patient...God is not finished with me yet!"  We are "becoming" until we leave this Earth, but in the 8th decade, one feels pretty well "completed"!  I wanted to be a teacher, which I didn't acccomplish until I was 40, but enjoyed my 24 yrs at it! Most girls in our generation wanted to be wives and mothers, (grandmothers!)  which is still the most satisfying thing in my life. But the plus of world travel, a career, participation in sports and acting/singing etc. sure filled the cup "over the top!"  I hadn't planned to be a pastor's wife but God had other ideas!!  HA!  Blessings abound!====JACK:  I remember the story of a woman who had many medical problems.  She was continually in and out of the hospital, but always had a cheerful disposition.  During her hospital stays she had a way of passing that positive attitude on to others.  Once, when she was registering again as a patient, she was heard to say, "I wonder what God has for me to do this time?"  That reminds me of Hubert Humphrey.  When he was in the hospital for the cancer that would ultimately take his life, he would be found going up and down the halls, greeting other patients and cheering them up.  What a fine man!














1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

Life (our time on earth) seems to be a huge crucible that holds everyone, molding and refining each one of us into the gold we are. Maybe this is why our latter days are called the golden years.