Friday, November 30, 2012

Winning Words 11/30/12
“I guess that’s how death works.  It doesn’t matter if we’re ready or not.  It just happens.”  Randy K. Milholland)  I read the obits, not expecting to see my name.  But eventually it will be there, and so will yours.  It happens.  We might pray that death be delayed, but life is transitory.  While we grieve for family and friends in the cemetery, let us also celebrate how they have made us and this world better by their living.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HY YO SILVER:  Amen.////FROM JACK:  I had mixed feelings about using the quote, but "the spirit" moved my fingers.

 FROM DR PAUL IN MICHIGAN:  Someday we can talk about how there are generational differences about cemeteries and "burials". I'm learning a lot lately.////FROM JACK:  When I was growing up, my uncle was a caretaker for a cemetery.  I used to go there with my dog, and we'd play together among the tombstones.////DP:  I think cemeteries are monuments to history. But part of me thinks it's a terrible waste of land where people could live and enjoy. I think your exposure to cemeteries are rather unique and give you a different perspective than most people.  I think it's interesting that people care so much about how, when and where they will be buried and even with whom?////JACK:  Google Carl Sandburg's "Remembrance Rock."  I think tombstones are remembrance rocks.  I like to walk through the cemetery...and remember.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Amen! Knowledge of our impending Deaths makes Life very significant. Unlike cutting the grass and painting the house, Death points out that Life cannot be put off until tomorrow. Like you noted, there are the truly significant things to be done --- "Love one another; as I have loved you, Love one another" (...and let the dead bury the dead.) ////FROM JACK:  In fact I have a "Today To Do" list before me right now.  I've already crossed out..."Read the obituaries,"////MR:  I liked your response to Walmart Rev; but I was thinking "Friday". Saturday will have its own troubles!  And I was also thinking that a useful "to do" list could be: 1) read obituaries. 2) go love one another. 3) sleep.

 FROM WALMART REV:  Always think of "The Dash" when I read or think about something of this nature and "I've fought the good fight, finished my course...and now the victor's crown that my effort found in Christ!" Looking forward to Monday!////FROM JACK:  Monday's pretty far ahead.  How about looking forward to Saturday?

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  I know I'm going to die,I just don't want to be there when it happens. .////FROM JACK:  Did you ever play Hide and Seek where the person who was "IT' would call out, "Ready or not, here I come?"  Death is the ultimate IT!

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I think I remember something in the Bible "Whether we live or die we live or die to the Lord". Death changes things and in a good way for people to see. Actually, don't know if I just "choose" to see death this way or if it really does happen but I've seen quite a few times now that there seems to be "perfect timing" involved and people grieve and mourn but also are able to be filled with gratitude about death--whether it was very peaceful, something very necessary was said just in time, the death happened on a special day, someone was impacted by the funeral and made a new start "in Christ", even I knew a couple who were like two peas in a pod and the woman died, people said he would follow in just months and he's still very perky and contributing to the community in the assisted living. Whether we live or die we live or die to the Lord and people all around demonstrate that all the time. A person can see meaning and purpose in all of it.////FROM JACK:  Sometimes it takes..."Time."

  FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  I have been missing (and dreaming) more recently of my Mother.  Must be the holidays.  I am so blessed to have the memory of her.  BTW I started Miss Millie's Loan Closet at church because we had so much equipment necessary for caregiving in the home.  So if you know of any needs.  Let me know.  Those things can be a big expense.  We have been glad for the response to it. ////FROM JACK:  The "closet" is a great way to honor your mother.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Tears still come once in awhile, but mostly loved ones are remembered with smiles and memories.  I'm glad my name wasn't in there today....but it may be tomorrow...one never knows.  I'm not afraid of dying but I am afraid of how I will eventually go.  Today is a gift and I intend to live it to the fullest.  There are 12 children coming over to make, bake and decorate Christmas cookies!  Yipee ////FROM JACK:  Those 12 children are building their memories, just like you did when you were their age.  Yipee!

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  AMEN to that////FROM JACK:  Carl Sandburg wrote an interesting poem which relates to today's subject.  It's called, "Grass."

       GRASS        by: Carl Sandburg (1878-1967)

        PILE the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo,
        Shovel them under and let me work--
        I am the grass; I cover all.
       
        And pile them high at Gettysburg
        And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
        Shovel them under and let me work.
        Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
        What place is this?
        Where are we now?
       
        I am the grass.
        Let me work.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is why we have to enjoy each day.  I am sending your WW to my cousin who lives in Rockford and whose sister's private funeral was held this morning at De Roo's in Moline.   ////FROM JACK:  Funerals happen every day, but they are out-of-the-ordinary when for a loved one.

 FROM HR IN MICHIGAN:  Zig Ziglar passed yesterday, now that was a guy who was Optimistic. ////FROM JACK:  I guess that's how death works.  His death is news to me.  He was interviewed a short while ago and said, "When I leave, we want to be sure to leave all of the messages that we can." He did leave many positive messages.  Zig was a nickname.  His real name was Hilary.

 FROM JB IN WISCONSIN:  Appropriate words for me today.  Today is the 90th anniversary of my dad's birth and Monday will be the 8th anniversary of his death.  I thank God for his presence in my life.////FROM JACK:  We don't forget, do we?

 FROM CWR IN B'MORE:  You get cheerier by the day.////FROM JACK:  There was one funeral where the Hallelujah Chorus was sung at the end of the service.

 FROM CJL IN OHIO:  Everyday!!!!////FROM JACK:  After the flowers have faded, the memory lingers...and lingers.  Thank God for beautiful memories.////CJL:  do you remember the phrase, "God gives us memories so that we may have roses in December"?  we need them!


2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Amen! Knowledge of our impending Deaths makes Life very significant. Unlike cutting the grass and painting the house, Death points out that Life cannot be put off until tomorrow. Like you noted, there are the truly significant things to be done --- "Love one another; as I have loved you, Love one another" (...and let the dead bury the dead.)

Anonymous said...

I think I remember something in the Bible "Whether we live or die we live or die to the Lord". Death changes things and in a good way for people to see. Actually, don't know if I just "choose" to see death this way or if it really does happen but I've seen quite a few times now that there seems to be "perfect timing" involved and people grieve and mourn but also are able to be filled with gratitude about death--whether it was very peaceful, something very necessary was said just in time, the death happened on a special day, someone was impacted by the funeral and made a new start "in Christ", even I knew a couple who were like two peas in a pod and the woman died, people said he would follow in just months and he's still very perky and contributing to the community in the assisted living. Whether we live or die we live or die to the Lord and people all around demonstrate that all the time. A person can see meaning and purpose in all of it.
S.H. in MI