Thursday, September 27, 2012

Winning Words 9/27/12
“The least pain in our little finger gives us more concern and uneasiness than the destruction of millions of our fellow-beings.”  (William Hazlitt 1778-1830) W.H. was a philosopher, one who often answers questions by asking questions.  His question plagues me…and perhaps you.  Is self-centeredness human nature?  Is that why we can be casual about social issues, not in our own back yard?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  Amen! I think that the root cause is lack of hope or vision for your life. If you do not feel significant to society, then you create significance (self centeredness) within yourself.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Our back yards are what frees us from selfishness. Want to know someone without shelter, hungry, thirsty, sick, disillusioned, broken, listen and look in the back yard face-to-face, meet the refugee moving in, then know the world. I think we can be casual about social issues because at some deep level in the psyche we are fearful and insecure about our own shelter, feeling hungry, thirsty, sick, inadequate to our own situations somehow and so we put up a wall between us and the world, seeking some peace and refuge ourselves from the pain of living.////FROM JACK:  I have 3 monkeys by my computer, one with his ears covered by his paws, one with his mouth covered, and one with his eyes covered.  While the saying is, "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil," I can see it as a symbol of shutting out the social issues that are going on around us.

 FROM TRIHARDER IN MICHIGAN:  I'm wondering, Jack, what "millions" he could have been writing about in the early 19th century.////FROM JACK:  I checked, and it appears that the 19th century population of Europe, alone, was 200 million.

FROM SAINT JAMES:  Totally...that is why this world is in the shape it's in...most people only care about themselves.   Aren't you surprised when someone opens a door for you or lets you change lanes?  I opened a door for a lady yesterday and she smiled as if I gave her a ton of money!////FROM JACK:  Someone gave me a magnet to place on the trunk of my car...KINDNESS MATTERS.  It's a reminder to me, as well as to others. 

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I truly believe one of the fruits (or consequences, if you prefer) of eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is the knowledge of the body's instinctive desires and the often contrasting inspirations of the Soul. It seems to me that self-centeredness is one way of expressing this. As Jesus notes,"...one who loses one life will gain it". The "war within" continues... ////FROM JACK:  Is the real basis...Self preservation?

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  WOW I like that one  and he is so right on.////FROM JACK:  This 200 year old quote remains relevant.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I'm not sure we are that casual about social issues.  With all kinds of media, it's hard not to be affected by what is happening around the world, let alone in our own backyards.   I know we listen and care deeply about what's happening.  I would say we feel totally helpless most of the time.  We can send up many prayers, and do, and sometimes add a helping hand with funds.////FROM JACK:  It's not that we are unaware of suffering in the world.  We are just more concerned with lesser pains going on in our own life.

 FROM PC IN MICHIGAN:  Hmm, I read this totally different.  The destruction of millions makes me think of our soldiers who are fighting for our freedom. Perhaps it's because I am working with military technical publications. I often let those little things go because I realize they are in danger every day with each action and I want them to stay safe.////FROM JACK:  I see that "millions" is a figurative word, referring to those who are suffering in a far greater way than many of us are.  That includes our troops.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  W. H.  was making a statement, not asking a question. The NIMBY syndrome is human nature and we need to try and overcome it. Not all are plagued with it, but we all have to live with it. Do the best you can and maybe it will "average out."////FROM JACK:  I was the one asking the question.  Both Hazlitt and I were making commentary on the plight of those who are "forgotten."

 FROM MS IN MICHIGAN:  “Not in our own back yard” hits a nerve since one of the residents now in my condo complex is a young man who spends the day wandering around tearing at his clothes and talking to himself, sometimes quietly, sometimes in a rage and cursing.  He hangs around the school yard next door and the mothers have started complaining to the principal; one of my neighbors drives her children to school since his behavior upset them when they walked recently. (It upsets me too.) His mother has told people that he has a psychosis and is on medication. The woman who lives next door to them is beside herself because of the constant disturbances.   I would like to know that he is getting the most and best care he can, but not much chance of finding that out.  I called the Macomb County Health Dept this morning to ask if MC has day care for mentally ill people—I hope someone will call me back.  At least his parents would know, if they don’t now.  I found the number to call a couple of weeks ago, but put it off, until your e-mail came this morning.////FROM JACK:  Thank you, thank you for being concerned and for DOING something about it.  Maybe it will take more than one call.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Our world has become so small that we are aware as never before of all the terrible situations people everywhere are going through, but aside from feeling so sorry for them, one often feels so helpless!  And as elderly folks in a very uncertain economy, even our charity has taken a hit...Yes, not being "there" definitely dulls our heart-felt compassion and our concern for minor aches of self or family "here" takes precedence.  I do like to think that we minister to needs in our own back yard, where it is possible to DO SOMETHING!////FROM JACK:  The feeling you have is nothing new.  Hazlitt sensed it over 100 years ago.  So many requests come through the mail.  I sort out some that we support, and the rest go into the recycling bin.  I don't feel guilty, because there is only so much pie to divide, or, so we think.  A friend of mine was married and going to seminary.  Finances were tight.  On Sunday he put a dollar in the offering, but as the usher took the plate, he noticed that he'd put in $20 by mistake.  That was the week's food money.  Should he tell the pastor about his error and try to exchange his dollar for the twenty?  He and his wife decided to "trust in the Lord."  TRUE STORY!  That week they got an unexpected inheritance.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I think that the root cause is lack of hope or vision for your life. If you do not feel significant to society, then you create significance (self centeredness) within yourself.

Anonymous said...

Our back yards are what frees us from selfishness. Want to know someone without shelter, hungry, thirsty, sick, disillusioned, broken, listen and look in the back yard face-to-face, meet the refugee moving in, then know the world. I think we can be casual about social issues because at some deep level in the psyche we are fearful and insecure about our own shelter, feeling hungry, thirsty, sick, inadequate to our own situations somehow and so we put up a wall between us and the world, seeking some peace and refuge ourselves from the pain of living.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

I truly believe one of the fruits (or consequences, if you prefer) of eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is the knowledge of the body's instinctive desires and the often contrasting inspirations of the Soul. It seems to me that self-centeredness is one way of expressing this. As Jesus notes,"...one who loses one life will gain it". The "war within" continues...