Friday, January 27, 2012

Winning Words 1/27/12
“Every day is a gift, even if it sucks.” (Sherry Hochman) I wondered about using this quote, but is has a couple of messages. 1st..God has made this day. God’s good days are really good. Right! But why did he make the miserable days? We’ve all seen them. What’s the good in the bad? 2nd..Every day is God’s gift. Given enough time, I’ve been able to see God at work in the bad days, too. Keep the faith” ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: True WW. I just pray God gives me the faith and strength to always believe this. Somewhere in the Bible he says he won't give us burdens we can't handle, a cross too heavy to carry. If I ever lose this faith, then I will also turn out to have been a crappy friend to others too, because I've sat with plenty of people now, thinking, believing, affirming today's WW. Thanks for giving us this WW, for today, feeling strengthened.////FROM JACK: Faith can be a very fragile thing. Physical exercise builds the body; spiritual exercise strengthens the soul.

FROM FATHER R SENT TO K: Thought you might enjoy this. Jack Freed - retired pastor of Holy Spirit Lutheran - sends out his "winning words" every day (with a brief meditation) - his list of "sendees" is in the thousands and around the world. Anyway, thought this one was a good way to end a week.


FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: I think all Christians wonder how you would get through the miserable day without Faith, faith that someone has the miserable days under control. And you are so right there is almost always good that comes out of the bad I like to think that is the power of His Faithful! Have a great day Jack it’s kind of pretty out there it doesn’t suck! ////FROM JACK: Even the "bad" crucifixion caused the day to become known as "Good" Friday. That's what faith does for us.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: I like this, it has given me perspective Jack. Tuesday was a really bad day, but a co-worker reached out and really extended herself to me....that made it a real gift.////FROM JACK: Perspective is important to the artist. It's also important to us who are trying to figure out the twists and turns of life. Do you think that God had a hand in the interaction you had with a co-worker? Faith answers in the affirmative.

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: I have often wondered why God would "create" evil, or "bad" as we use it in this context. As one thing is set against another, it seems necessary that for Good to be Good, it must contrast with its opposite. Otherwise, there would be no knowing of it. Just as Life is contrasted with Death --- a lesson learned with the eating of the forbidden fruit! ////FROM JACK: My "take" is that God did not create evil. By giving us "free will," the evil is of our own doing by choosing to go against the good that God has set before us. What good parent would want to a child to be a robot?

AB IN MICHIGAN: You used this one because, I needed it!! I was having a bad day and now I can't stop laughing. Thank you so much. I can't stop thinking of God smiling at me at me and saying, "I know it SUCKS, but look at the bigger picture."////FROM JACK: Sometimes we just need to step back from situations. My faith allows me to do this...and to "see" with new eyes.

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN: Love it – thanks!////FROM JACK: I guess you have to have been in the situation in order to really appreciate it.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: We really needed the rain today in Tampa for a change.It is almost over now, and we will be back to our sunny days this afternoon, the weather map shows. We count our blessings.////FROM JACK: Did you ever sing this song when you were a child?
Oh, who can make a flower?
I'm sure I can't, can you?
Oh, who can make a flower?
No one but God can do.

Oh, who can make the raindrops?
I'm sure I can't, can you?
Oh, who can make the raindrops?
No one but God can do.

Oh, who can make the sunshine?
I'm sure I can't, can you?
Oh, who can make the sunshine?
No one but God can do.

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: YOU BET !!////FROM JACK: Or, as Sarah would say, "You betcha!"

FROM PSYCHOLOGIST JL: When I work with my clients I try to help them to see that even the challenge gives rise to an opportunity and often a wonderful outcome. It's so wonderful when they get it. So said a 15 year old yesterday in my office. ////FROM JACK: Experiences like that give us the incentive to keep on keeping on.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Even though that is one of the words I really dislike, I have to agree with the quote. You can find something good in each day....just the fact you are alive to greet the day is a blessing. ////FROM JACK: Someone told me about some words which had been scribbled on the wall of a room where patients receive chemotherapy. "Cancer Sucks!"

FROM RJP IN NAPLES: I don't like the terminology. It could be said better.////FROM JACK: And then there are some to say that it couldn't have been said better. I guess it all depends on what kind of a day you're having.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: God gives us a bad day once in a while so we appreciate the good ones. ////FROM JACK: Read the Book of Job. Job had some really bad days. His friends said, "Curse God and die." Job's response: Though he slay me, yet will I trust him." In the end his faith was rewarded.

FROM SA IN VEGAS: I have a postcard taped to my computer tower on my desk. Every once in awhile I look over at it and chuckle to myself. James Reynolds painted 'The Good Life' and was awarded a Gold Medal in 1971. It hangs in the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OK City. This cowboy, who probably thought life on the trail would be a little more glamorous, is holding his dinner plate, which is obviously filled with water, in one hand, the fork in the other isn't even raised up, so we know dinner is a lost cause, he's looking at his boot, which we also know is filled with water due to the drainage from his rain slicker and the brim of his hat. Even the 'dumb' animal standing next to him is thinking 'what are we doing out here?' and we know this because it's ears are slightly back and it's head is raised as it looks for directions from it's master. 'The Good Life'. Ha! Great title, and even better message. God gives us good days and bad days for sure. Sometimes I think we kind of set ourselves up for the bad days by expecting 'fair weather' our entire life. WW helps us keep the faith.////FROM JACK: During this prolonged economic recession, the faith of the people in Las Vegas and elsewhere is being tested. During a drought, people pray for rain. During a flood, people pray for the rain to stop. At least God knows what the people are concerned about.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Was watching Joe Paterno's memorial service yesterday. It was wonderful. Like a "movie of the week." One of his players quoted (and I'm paraphrasing), "Today can be better than yesterday or it can be worse than yesterday... but it's not going to be the same." So, make the best of every day and do the best you can with the day you're dealt."////FROM JACK: That quote fits perfectly as a response to today's Winning Words. The words from My Fair Lady come to mind. "I think that Liz's got it."

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: I'm sure we all would prefer good days, but when you have a bad one, it really helps you appreciate the good ones...////FROM JACK: It has happened in my life that some really bad days eventually turned out to be some really good days.


















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

True WW. I just pray God gives me the faith and strength to always believe this. Somewhere in the Bible he says he won't give us burdens we can't handle, a cross too heavy to carry. If I ever lose this faith, then I will also turn out to have been a crappy friend to others too, because I've sat with plenty of people now, thinking, believing, affirming today's WW. Thanks for giving us this WW, for today, feeling strengthened.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

I have often wondered why God would "create" evil, or "bad" as we use it in this context. As one thing is set against another, it seems necessary that for Good to be Good, it must contrast with its opposite. Otherwise, there would be no knowing of it. Just as Life is contrasted with Death --- a lesson learned with the eating of the forbidden fruit!