Friday, November 26, 2010

Winning Words 11/26/10
“You have really succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.” (Vernon Howard) Today is known in the retail world as “Black Friday,” when many businesses hope to end the year in the “black,” because of anticipated sales. VH’s words are meant to cause us to reflect on “What is it that we really need?” In the movie, The Jerk, all that Navin needs is “this ashtray, paddleball, remote control, matches, lamp, magazine, chair and this dog.” What is it that you really need? ;-) Jack

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: You remind me of Clint Eastwood's "confession" in Gran Torino. Did you see it? FROM JACK: I remind you of Clint Eastwood? Thanks. You remind me of Woody Allen.

FROM TS IN INDIANA: Your messages are always a very warm welcome to the day. We are both early birds. I hope you and Mary enjoyed a beautiful Thanksgiving with your family. Ours was here in Fishers, Indiana, with our family. What a wonderful time to remember as a family God's great blessings to us all. FROM JACK: There were 13 of us around the table, including 4 who came from Minnesota. We need more than one day a year to remind us of our many God-given blessings.

FROM YOOPER PO: Good health (which, thankfully, I again have). There's not a 'bargain' big enough to get me anywhere near a store today! FROM JACK: When you've got your health, who needs a paddleball or a remote control?

FROM SH IN BATON ROUGE: I really need purpose which thankfully I have been shown that I have and I hope that lasts even through my old age when I am just reposing on my bed ready to take my last breath.
Live to the Lord and die to the Lord, that's all I want. FROM JACK: Many things would be different if we knew when that last breath would be taken.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: all I really need is Jack Freed and his winning words FROM JACK: Don't you need that paddleball, the chair and the remote control? MORE FROM CL: I suppose at least the chair and the remote FROM JACK: And you don't need the ashtray anymore, either.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I may be a "jerk," but I think Navin has some good ideas there! Hope you are having a very Happy Thanksgiving weekend. FROM JACK: I thought there were some interesting points that were made in The Jerk. Navin wasn't such a jerk after all. And, we are having a great Thanksgiving.

FROM JB IN WISCONSIN: Thanks for the good words and the reminder of a funny movie! FROM JACK: As with most well-made comedies, there's a message in the madness.

FROM MOLINER CF: Some of the stuff I think I really need may be things I really just want. Weed 'em out by asking, "Can I really do without it?" FROM JACK: Did you ever see the movie, "Down and Out in Beverly Hills?" You could play Nick Nolte's part and see how long you'd last. I'd pay to see you in the movies...at least in that one.

FROM DREM IN MICHIGAN: "And I don't need one other thing, except my dog." (Navin Johnson) I am intentionally staying out of the stores today and spending it with my family. Great movie by the way. Great quote Jack! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. FROM JACK: I know people who were standing at the mall door at 4 am, and enjoying it. Not for me.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: "all you need is love, ba-da-da-da-dum"... FROM JACK: Yes, love is a many splendored thing.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: also, a good quote for a stewardship sermon. God will meet our needs (food, clothing, shelter) but not all our greeds. FROM JACK: I'll bet that you can find a sermon in every quote. For example: How about this quote? "It ain't no sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long
as you don't break any." How about this quote? It ain't no sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any. (Mae West)

FROM BG IN SAN DIEGO: I want to thank you for all your winning words. I look forward to starting my days with your meaningful messages. I used these words as part of my prayer yesterday. We had many friends over to our place here in San Diego. Those of us who don't have family close by all came together to enjoy each others company. I hope you had a great day. FROM JACK: We used that prayer, too. It just seemed right. There were 13 of us.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: I want the energy to clean my oven. It is self-cleaning but the racks must come out and some parts need special attention. Well, I did it and read in between. What a great day. FROM JACK: When Mary was growing up, her mother cooked on a wood burning stove, and it wasn't self-cleaning. You had to carry in the wood and carry out the ashes, and no time for reading.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I NEED nothing...want is another matter! My daughter, dau-in-laws, granddaughters all helped on Black Friday in Springfield...I do not shop on the day after T.Giving...too busy picking up the pieces here, and getting the evening meal (and games) ready for Friday night. My husband's favorite saying is featured on our refrigerator, "WANT WHAT YOU HAVE, AND YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE WHAT YOU WANT"...It has helped me many times. :-) Not to covet, or buy unnecessarily. I tend to spend it, it I have the money. He was a saver. Which of course is why we have a nice home on the lake, decent car, etc..etc...However, as we age and are more aware of the conditions in other parts of the world, we realize how very rich we are, and priorities change. (Hopefullyl) I always think now, "I'm 80 yrs. old...how long would I use this anyway, if I bought it?" Ha! Anyway, a good saying. May we keep it ever in mind! FROM JACK: I'm not so sure that many readers of WWs bother to read the blog, so I might be using Bill's refrigerator saying as Winning Words one of these days.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really need purpose which thankfully I have been shown that I have and I hope that lasts even through my old age when I am just reposing on my bed ready to take my last breath. Live to the Lord and die to the Lord, that's all I want.
S.H. in MI, in Baton Rouge visiting relatives for a few days and thankful.