Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Winning Words 8/11/09
“What’s the use of worrying? It never was worthwhile.” (George Asaf) These words are from “Pack Up Your Troubles,” a World War I morale-building song written in 1915. It’s been a favorite of mine ever since I can remember. The famous “orchestra” leader, Spike Jones, made a popular recording of it.. I Googled a snippet of it and got a smile, smile, smile for today. ;-) Jack

LYRICS BY GEORGE ASAF
Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
and smile, smile, smile!
While you´ve a lucifer to light your fag
(Note: a lucifer is a match & fag is a cigarette)
Smile, boys, that´s the style!
What´s the use worrying?
It never was worth while
So, pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
and smile, smile, smile!


FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Reminds me of one of my "thoughts for the day": "Remember that a smile is a frown turned upside down. Don't make us stand on our heads to see you smile!" I think that I have sent this to you once, but I have always like it. Implying, of course, that it takes a lot of effort to make some people smile.

FROM HILLTOPPER JOHN: Don't forget the "Old Kit Bag" FROM JACK: Are you calling my friend, Kit, an old bag?

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: ...and a cheery cockadoodledoo to you,too!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Gary's Uncle Mike loves the The Big Band Sound. He has all the DVD's and all of the videos and all of the CD's full of music. His favorite is Glenn Miller but he also loves Spike Jones. When we head to Cadillac, we spend the rainy days watching those old time favorites.....and we smile smile smile! Joshua's favorite movie is "Singing in the Rain" and now it's Noah's. I can't even begin to tell you how many times we have watched it. (But we don't worry about it!) "Singing in the Rain" was the first (of many) DVD's we got Josh! He's 10 now and still loves it!!!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: show me a happy man and I'll show you a man at peace.

FROM MOLINER J.T.: One of mine also !!!

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: Do you remember the music teacher at Central Jr. High who taught us all of those WWI
songs? FROM JACK: Oh, that's where I learned it?


No comments: