Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Winning Words 4/28/09
“There are two enormous powers operating in the world, and one of them is fear. It is the greatest power of all, save one, and that is faith.” (Smiley Blanton) Blanton was a psychologist who worked closely with Norman Vincent Peale. He also worked with Freud. Swine Flu, the economy, climate change, violence…there are many scary things out there in the world. I’m reminded of this saying: “I don’t know what the future holds, but I do know who holds the future.” Faith is the antithesis of fear. ;-) Jack

FROM T.L. IN MICHIGAN: Jack, this is one of the best editions you have written. Again, thank you, for my daily bread.

FROM C.S. IN WISCONSIN: Maybe some of the press should practice their faith or find it so they would quit spreading the fear.

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: C. Fitzsimon Allison's book FAITH, LOVE AND WORSHIP deals with exactly that theme. It is one of the best books I have ever read.....

FROM T.S. IN MICHIGAN: You've hit my hot button on this one. I'm a "fear the Lord" guy. I know that perfect love drives out all fear, but perfect love is not going to be achieved on earth. I so often feel that we miss the importance of both fearing and loving God. He becomes so much more powerful to me if I have that feeling of fear along with love. As Martin would respond to each commandment - what does this mean - We should fear and love God ..... Fear is the beginning of wisdom as Solomon records for us in Proverbs. Likewise in Ecclesiastes he ends with a very interesting phrase of when all is said and done - what is important is to fear God and keep his commandments. Fear of God, for me, is one of the greatest evangelism motivators.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Is there actually something "out there" such as fear, or is fear something of our own creation? Doubt and fear seem to strike together, when we apparently have no other mental resources to call upon.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: "There is nothing to fear but fear itself". I don't know who said it, but it is certainly true. I am reminded about the Chicken Little story. People hear a little part of a story and suddenly the sky is falling. Happenings must be put in perspective. "Fear not," said the angel, "For I have brought you good news!" FROM JACK: FDR said it. The Chicken Little reference seems to fit.

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: At a children's sermon many years ago I learned this song. I used
to sing it even when I was older and had to go out to the barn alone at night to put the
horses up. Every now-and-again it pops into my mind.

I will not be afraid.
I will not be afraid.
I will look upward
and travel onward
and not be afraid.

He said he will be with me.
He said he will be with me.
He goes before me
and stands beside me
so I'm not afraid.

You must have taught us this since 'many years ago' I was listening to your children's
sermons. Do you recall if there were other verses? FROM JACK:
His arms are underneath me. His arms are underneath me.
His hand upholds me, His arms enfold me, So I'm not afraid.

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: I have just returned from the beautiful wedding of our first grandchild- a grandson- to be married in Port Clinton, Ohio. That occasion was more than enough to give one faith in the future. Then one of our youngest granddaughters received her First Communion in West Palm Beach, and I was able to be there, too, because of Southwest's great schedule. Our generation has lived through a lot of years with World
War II, President Kennedy's assassination, the polio vaccine, etc

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Fear pushes us over the edge. Faith provides the parachute.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: That's what keeps us going...

No comments: