Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 12/3/08
“We can learn much from wise words, little from wise cracks, and less from wise guys.”
(William Arthur Ward) This reminds me one of the Sunday School boy in my congregation who was in a Christmas play. He said that he was one of the “wise guys.” In a dream, the Lord came to Solomon and said , “Ask whatever you want, and I shall give it to you.” Solomon replied, “Give me an understanding mind to govern your people well, that I may know the difference between right and wrong.” (1 Kings 3::5-9) Now, that’s wisdom. ;-) Jack


FROM PR J.S. IN MI: And yet he was the dope who ruined the Kingdom of David by running after other gods.... REPLY FROM JACK: At the time, it was the proper response to God. Later on, he may have been a dope. As you well know, we sin daily. Therefore. confession and foregiveness are regularly before us.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: A great choice today for WW (Winning Words/Wise Words). Incidentally, we missed you yesterday.

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: Jack -- sort of reminds me of Ecclesiastes that we are reading now in our bible study group. My goodness, it certainly has a lot of "ramblings" by whomever wrote it. Sounds like MY ramblings of a life misspent (at times). Quite a depressing piece of work. Some people think Solomon wrote it as he was aging, but there are a lot of contradictions in it. I know it doesn't really come together until the 12th chapter, but it has got to be the most depressing book in the bible. Do you agree? JACK'S REPLY: I disagree. Maybe it's because its alternate name is, The Preacher. I especially like Chapter 3.
FROM F.M. IN WI: Wise winning words today! The three W's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be in my own Bible study school this morning and go there expecting to be enlightened in some way about something that the wise people reading and interpreting the Bible and God's signs are able to know and share.
It's great to think about all the kids and adults getting ready to be dressed up as wise men for the Christmas plays that are coming. Thanks for the WW today, Pastor Freed.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I wondered yesterday if I got kicked off your Winning Words list. Always afraid my excessive writing is aggravating or something but, now that I see someone else didn't get Winning Words either--are you and Mary OK? Did you have some sort of flu or something that kept you in bed? Glad you're back again, Pastor Freed, the day is just not the same without your visit to us bright and early each morning.
We missed you.
God bless,
Sharon