Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 11/14/07
“Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily.”
(Santayana) I read that George was an adherent of epiphenomenalism. Personally I’d rather read from my favorite skeptic, C.S. Lewis. Skepticism has helped me to deepen my faith. I like what the father said when he brought his son to Jesus for healing. “I believe. Help my unbelief.” Jesus commended him for that. ;-) Jack


FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: Had to look up 'epiphenominalism' and can see that it's going to take more than a quick read!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: If skepticism were a crime, I’d be on death row. Through faith, I get a pardon daily.

JON SAID NOT TO POST IT: The worst speculative Skeptic ever I knew, was a much better Man than the best superstitious Devotee & Bigot. --David Hume (Letter to Gilbert Elliot of Minto, March 10, 1751) .... but it's too good to just let it float in cyber space (Jack)

FROM REV. J.S. IN MICHIGAN: Jack...You piqued my curiousity with that quote today from Mark. I had always associated that with Paul who is a natural skeptic. I checked in Eduord Schweizer's commentary on Mark and he associates "unbelief", however, not with skepticism but with the recognition that it is too difficult for the man to rely simply on God in this situation and that in part he wants also to rely on himself. Complete faith would demand that we simply rely only on God and that the "I" in the equation disappear. It is something, I think, like the I THOU relationship which Buber describes when he talks about the Ultimate Thou. Thus, the unbelief of the man is not a mental skepticism but a spiritual inability to cast away his own independence and rely simply on the Lord. Thanks for sending me up to look that up. I think I learned something today.

RESPONSE TO J.S.: I have this quote in my WWs file. I don't think I'll send it out to the general readership, because they might not appreciate it....the way you might.
"Archaeology is the search for fact, not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall." (George Lucas)

FROM D.S. IN CALIFORNIA: Jack, you hit on my favorite religious saying. I do question things, and wonder "why" so often, but then I think, God gave me this brain to think with. What bothers me is that I don't want to feel as if I have to have a miracle occur immediately at my asking. I do need help with my "unbelief", but I don't think I am the only one. I do HOPE that what I believe and am learning IS what "will be", and of course I hope that in some way I am worthy of eternal life with my Savior.

FROM MY SISTER IN ILLINOIS: This reminds me of the song Mrs. Tillberg taught us:
I believe in God the Father,
I believe in God the Son,
I believe in God the Spirit,
One in Three and Three in One.
Chorus: I believe, yes I believe; I believe yes, I believe; I believe yes I believe--help thou Lord mine unbelief.

FROM C.R. IN MARYLAND: yaah

FROM REV. P.H. IN MINNESOTA: wise words from a wise man!! both you and Diz

FROM D.P. IN MINNESOTA: Good one!

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: I think a skeptic is one who thinks about things. (That's a good word...epiphenomenalism.. I'm still working on it.)

No comments: