Monday, February 04, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 2/4/19
“Waste of time is the most extravagant of all expenses.”  (Theophrastus)  Time in a Bottle is a great song, not just for the melody, but for how it speaks about the value of time.  Think!…if we could somehow save wasted time!  How would you use it?…hobbies?...for helping people? ,,,more of it for family?  I guess we each have our…“if I just had more time!”  Jim Croce’s time ran out too soon   I wonder if it happened after his dreams came true?  He died at age 30.   ;-)  Jack 

FROM OPT MV:  I really liked the music of Jim Croce. He died tragically and too early.===JACK:  Ironic, isn't it, that Time In A Bottle relates so much to his life.  We never know....

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Yes, what a shame that a musician of Jim Croce's talent wasn't given more time on Earth. Our Sweet Adelines Chorus sang "Time in a Bottle", and so true, if we could
pick up some time, we'd want to spend it with loved ones!  Especially those we've lost...As Wm Faulkner once opined, "The Past is never dead;  It's not even past!"===JACK:  The Sweet Adelines will be singing a community concert in our church this year.  I wonder if it will include Time In A Bottle?  BTW, if we to have time in a bottle, which bottle would you open first?===OAKS:  Time with my husband; then my children, then twin Jan, mother, etc. :-) It's nice to have the present time to talk via email to friends like you, with some common background and values!! :-)===JACK:  What does it say...that I could have predicted that order (not that each is important to you in their own way)?

FROM DS IN SOCAL:  I love all of Croce's songs.  I love to sing (with him) my favorite "Time in a Bottle". He truly died way to early.===JACK:  All of Croce's songs?  I'll have to look them up ... and probably be even more impressed by his short life and what was accomplished during it. (Pause, while I Google)  WOW!  I am so impressed!  I like the one called, Age.===DS:  Yes, they all have great meaning in their words, and exceptionally pleasant to hear.  One of my other favorites (from the days when they actually sang nice songs) was by Anne Murray.   I love to sing in the shower. ===JACK:  Anne is another favorite of mine.  A Winning Words reader recently had contact with her in Eastern Canada.===DS:  HA!!   Tell you reader to tell HER.....I still love her!!!  My wife knows it.  You have good taste too!!!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I find now there is as much time as I need each day! And each day is an adventure of new experiences!===JACK:  Yes, we each have the same amount of time.  How we use it is what makes the difference in our lives.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  “Time in a Bottle” was our wedding song!===JACK:  Read, think back and remember...
If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
'Til eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you.

If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save every day like a treasure and then,
Again, I would spend them with you.

But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go
Through time with.

If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory
Of how they were answered by you

But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go
Through time with

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Do we really ever waste time?  I’m not sure.  Yes there are days when I sit and read because that’s all I can do.  But my brain is going 90 miles an hour.  Praying, thinking, remembering.    Watching tv is a waste if you watch waste!===JACK:  That last sentence is very clever.  Did that come from your own mind? 

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  was it a drug overdose?   just curious...===JACK:  Interesting that you should ask if it was drug-related.  It seems to be a sign of generalities connected with "performers."  He was in an airplane with four others.  The plane hit a tree on takeoff, crashed, and all were killed.  "There never seems to be enough time..."===SP:  Jack,  sometime Google "rock stars who died of an overdose".   last time i did this i found over 100 names from the past 5 or 6 decades.  i was astounded.   some names i did not recognize but drugs have surely killed a lot of people associated with rock.===JACK:  I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  I was impressed with what Jim Croce was able to create, and I was pleased to discover that drugs did not appear to be related to his death.  If I could put time in a bottle, part of that time would include the time of our friendship. 


No comments: