Thursday, February 28, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 2/28/19
“I like the night!  Without the dark we’d never see the stars.”  (Stephenie Meyer)  Starry Night is my favorite Van Gogh work of art.  He did it from memory in 1889, a view from the window of the asylum where he was staying.  It’s now in a NYC museum and is said to be worth at least 100 million dollars.  I have a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle of it and imagine myself as VG as I put the pieces together.  The trees around my house block my view of “the real” starry night.   ;-)  Jack

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  You have a great tree in front of your house   We should all sit out there this summer and draw/ paint it as he would.===JACK:  What a great idea!  ...to paint my view of the front yard as I see it from the front porch.  If I want to see the sky, I can look at Starry Night.

FROM KLM:  Hi, I like the stars too. My husband and I walk our dog every evening and some nights the stars are so bright and beautiful. Was below zero last night and the stars were so bright. ===JACK:  There's a hymn that I like:
All things bright and beautiful,  all creatures great and small,
all things wise and wonderful,  the Lord God made them all.
 Each little flow'r that opens, each little bird that sings,
he made their glowing colors, he made their tiny wings.
The purple-headed mountain, the river running by,
the sunset, and the morning  that brightens up the sky.   ...(and more verses)

FROM SHALOM JAN:  One of my faves, too.  I have only a small version of it along with two others.  Maybe, somewhere, I still have an old calendar with a better copy of this painting along with 11 others of Van Gogh.  His works have always appealed to me.  Today might be a good day to look for that calendar.===JACK:  OK!  You get the calendar, and I'll get the puzzle.===JAN:  Sounds like a plan!===JACK:  ...but, I feel constrained to do the puzzle...except that I have to get busy and finish preparing my Transfiguration sermon..."Last night, I saw Jesus at the foot of my bed!"

FROM SF IN FLA:  I like the night because it’s quiet (like me!). Have you read ‘Quiet’ by Susan Cain? A wonderful book about the gift of being an introvert. It freed (no pun intended!!) me. She also has a TED Talk and several YouTubes. She taught me that being an introvert describes what you need for inner peace...quiet...some solitude...times of low stimuli. When I trained in counseling, I was told that I am a ‘socialized introvert’. I think that fits. I like being with people and I like being quiet! My sister is the ultimate extrovert. She exhausts me!!===JACK:  Thanks for the psychoanalysis...I think that I'm a socialized introvert, too.  I can be "social" when the work-situation calls for it, but, I generally choose to sit back and observe...except when I'm with friends (like at the Early Bird or Twin Beach).  So, there!  I've let down my guard...somewhat.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love that work of art too!===JACK:  Another one that I like is "The Creation" by Michelangelo.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I recently watched the movie made of his life (again) on TCM, and
commiserated again on VG's unfortunate and unhappy circumstances!  So ironic how valued his paintings are today, when he couldn't sell a single one while he was alive!! I have his Sunflowers paintings.  The brightest I ever saw stars was in the Congo, in Africa.(1970) Since they have so little industry, the smog doesn't cover or blot the heavens. The night sky is just magnificent. Sarah used to hurry out to the end of our lake lane in Petersburg to catch the dazzling sunsets there!  We do need to be mindful of the great "scenery" we can enjoy, if only our eyes are open!  I'm always enthralled with
views of Lake Michigan (and the Chicago skyline) when I visit Chicago!  Makes me think of the song, "It's a wonderful world"...It sure is!! :-)===JACK:  As you have described your overseas visits in the past, it seems that the Congo had a great influence upon you...perhaps the greatest.  True? ===OAKS:  As Mark Twain so truly said, travel broadens your vision and affects your prejudices...Congo was my 1st sashay into a completely different culture, and it was "in depth"...for almost a month there. (We also toured the Holy Land, Turkey, and attended the  Passion Play in Oberamergau, Germany on that trip, so the intake was HUGE!)  My Subsequent trips to Japan, also for 3 weeks, and India, 2 1/2 weeks,  and Bill's month; in Haiti, as well as the European trip of England, Scotland, France and Wales,  also had great impacts, giving me a "word-vision" that h as affected my whole life! Never in my childhood did I ever expect to travel like that! I feel extraordinarily blessed to have done so!===JACK:  I've liked your congo stories.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Driving across from South to North Dakota, we saw the stars across the whole sky!  They were do close!  Also, we saw a meteorite fly across the sky and land in a field!
   As a Picture Lady, we got copies of paintings and explained about the painter and told about the paintings to grade school and maybe dale school kids.  One of our paintings were a series of 3 from Van Gogh.  It was so very special to tell the kids all about him and his paintings!===JACK:  I have great respect for school districts who believe that learning about the arts is an important part of being educated.  Picture ladies (men) are an important asset to the classroom.  My sister was once a Picture Lady.

FROM TRIHARDER: For a great view of the horizon and night sky, I  often go to Wabeek golf course -- especially for glorious full moon rises.===JACK:  Hey!  That's a good idea.  I haven't done anything like that since when I was first dating.

FROM KF IN WB:  I almost bought "Starry Night" puzzle while I was Christmas shopping this year; the reason I didn't was because I bought a VanGogh puzzle last year ("Paris Cafe"), and it just about did me in.  The bottom was cobblestone and the sky was just like "Starry Night". But it was fun. I just finished a 1,000 piece puzzle which had a very difficult sky section and lots of grasses and shrubbery on the bottom; took me all of February, but I really enjoyed it. I'll send you a picture of it! S just sent me a puzzle made of photos from our Kiawah Island/Charleston vacation in September.===JACK:  500 pieces are enough for me.  My S N puzzle is now on the table...just about ready to go.  I once sent a photo puzzle, taken apart with the pieces in an envelope.  She was excited, wondering what the picture might be.  It was of her father, taken many years ago.  She was so appreciative.  You're welcome to use the idea sometime.

FROM JK IN OC:  Mary sent me a very special miniature teapot with Starry Night.. painted on it! I look at it often and keep it in a special place in my kitchen :) :)===JACK:  As you pursued your singing career, we would often refer to you as Starry Knight...and you have become a star!===JK IN ORANGE:  Haha getting there! I've been advanced to this round 2 of a pretty extensive tour this summer! It's am amazing Christian Organization but is highly involved with top industry executives! If all the planes on one part of the tour.... MERRILL WISCONSIN :) :) PRAY FOR ME TO DO GODS WILL...AND BE BLESSED AND HELPING OTHERS IN THE PROCESS


 









No comments: