Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 2/12/19
“To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.”  (Donald Laird)  In Sunday School, when I was a kid, we’d sell crimson heart pins (10 cents each) to raise money for a local orphanage.  Using my head, I left before the closing prayer, to go outside and sell to the incoming worshippers before the other kids had a chance.  A Bible verse says, “Be wise as serpents.”  On 2nd thought, the devil is pictured as a serpent.  “Father, forgive me!”   ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I think forgiveness is the avenue you should travel for your SCS action! ===JACK:  I still have sleep in my eyes (and mind).  Explain further.  Does SCS mean Sunday Church School?  I still use SS, Sunday School.===JOHN:  SCS =Sunday Church School===JACK:  That never caught on with me.  Did you ever sing: "School days, school days, good old Sunday School days?"===JOHN:  Don't remember it.....I come from a Sunday School family....my Dad was Superintendent of the Sunday School at the First Presbyterian Church for many years....we went to Sunday School when I was a kid....didn't start going to church until we joined the Immanuel Lutheran Church in EM

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i marked mine down to nine cents.===JACK:  To counter that,, I would have asked if they wanted to upgrade to a quarter to better help the little kids in the orphanage.===LIZ:  touche.===JACK:  I'm speechless!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Maybe recognizing that the serpent devil is indeed wise can help keep us on guard as he tempts us on an ongoing basis,===JACK:  I think that Satan uses sneakier disguises these days.  Sometimes he even appears as a "religious person" or a sweet=talking politician.===RS:  I think he's always used those disguises....and others....over the course of time. I still think your approach is best - WWJD. ===JACK:  Seriously, What Would Jesus Do about building a wall at our southern border?  Maybe only God has answers for the complications...because there are complications, even beyond what we see.===RS: True -  Somehow I don't see Jesus building a wall anywhere.===JACK:  I like Robert Frost's Mending Wall.  A portion of it reads...
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know  What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.  Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down."

FROM QUILTING CAROL::  Wow!  You jogged a long time forgotten memory of those little heart pins.  I don’t think I would have remembered why we had them.  Snowing here again today!  Looks like another 4” in the driveway as Bob is snow blowing. We have a coating of ice under it so it isn’t fun shoveling or blowing snow on our inclined driveway.  There is a coating of ice on pretty much every surface up here so one must be very careful walking.  Bob is wearing cleats on his shoes and they even slide.  Thankful that is isn’t -28 or -30 with wind chills added on to that.  We’ve experienced that as well this winter.  A couple more weeks and we’ll be into March and better signs of spring coming!===JACK:  Our weather is similar to yours.  BTW, I still have one of those heart pins, but it's worth more than a dime to me...because of the memories that it holds.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  No wonder you and Clem got along so well—2 peas in a pod!  Ha! ===JACK:  Oh, we had fun, especially when we were able to put one over on Clifford.  Our brains seemed to be in sync when it came to mischief-making.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love it! I had never heard that saying before!===JACK:  I see that Laird has written some books...Sizing Up People and Why We Don't Like People are two of them.  They sound interesting to me.







No comments: