Monday, December 03, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 12/3/18
“There’s a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker.”  (Charles Schulz)  As I went through the MSP Airport I smiled when I saw a figure of Snoopy wearing a pilot’s helmet and goggles.  Charles Schultz makes me smile—and think!…like when a philosophy of  his became a bumper sticker: “Life is like a 10-speed bike.  Most of us have gears we never use.”  I’ll never forget the teacher who took me aside and told me, “You can do better than this!”  ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Good one!===JACK:  You've probably seen that Snoopy!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It was a good day to sleep in!  One of the highlights of my day was reading the newspaper.  I’ve pretty much stop that habit because we don’t get it anymore.  I read it for top to bottom except the ads.  I’d read everything and save the cartoons and puzzles for last.  Charlie Brown was and still is one of my top favorites...B.C. Was and still is my favorite.===JACK:  I now read the Detroit Free Press online since they've started printing with smaller letters.  I like most of the comics, but I laugh at Pearls Before Swine (not your style).

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Nice to hear you can sleep in at least one morning.  The ‘mouse’ here was awake at 4:30 this morning. ===JACK:  Yes, it was nice to get some more zzzzs.  I'm in MN for most of Dec, so son David was able to wake up the snoozing mouse.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I don't remember seeing that Charlie Brown bumper Sticker, but it's a good one!  Charles Schulz has made us smile for many years with his humorous bits of "child" philosophy!  As Henry Ward Beecher said, "A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon with no springs--jolted by every pebble in the road." Life is a lot less bumpy with a sense of humor!! (Knock, knock! Who's there?  Noah.  Noah Who?  Noah lot of jokes and funny stories and you'll feel better!) AUGGRRH!===JACK:  Joke: "He was the apple of his mother's eye, but he  wasn't appealing to me."  Did you ever say those words?  Bumper Sticker:  The Universe can be difficult!"

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I believe there are many of us who have been blessed with teachers who put us on notice by saying, "You can do better than this!"===JACK:  ...and I even remember his name: Mr. Ekblad.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  https://youtu.be/x6zypc_LhnM
this is the very first skating “program” gisela had at age five. russian pairs champion/coach suggested “la cucaracha.” i said it’s gotta be linus and lucy...she used this as her music for over a year for practice/competitions. gisela was a heck of a skater... very fast, w/spins faster/better than most pros. her jumps? not as great. you can tell from the music where the spins were!===JACK:  I continue to like Charlie Brown Christmas.  Part of its success is due to the piano accompaniment by Vince Guaraldi.  When that music is used with a daughter's skating program...even better!

FROM WALMART REV:  One of my Bible college professors was telling my roommate when it became apparent I was cutting too many times in his class, “Paul is is nice guy, but he’s got to attend class if he is hoping to pass?!?!” I’ve never forgotten that either. 0;-)===JACK:  You and I are both examples of how the Lord can use imperfect vessels in His work.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  I am glad you got a couple hours of additional sleep!  And I love Charles Schulz and his philosophy that showed so much in his Peanuts cartoons.  The retired pastor who was at Faith L.C. in Arlington when I was about 8 or 9 years old would stand on the chancel steps and talk to the children.  More than once he said, "Do your best.  Angels can do no better." And, that was my guiding principle throughout my schooling.  Blessings on your day!'===JACK:  When my wife and her siblings would complain about schoolwork..."It's too hard!!!"  She'd reply, "Just do your best." 





No comments: