Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 12/19/18
“You can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”  (Ronald Reagan)  I read of a “grandma” who was living in poverty because she was answering every request for money received from “needy” groups.  Recently, I got a publication which rates most charities on how they use their funds…A-B-C or D.  It’s been a helpful tool when it comes to making choices.  The ELCA and the Salvation Army have good ratings.  Pies have only so many slices.   ;-)  Jack 

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  The publication that rates charities is very revealing.  I subscribe to the publication too, and have been shocked in some cases, how much of the money is distributed within the collecting organization, and how little gets to the charity itself.  It's shameful!  Regarding the charity contributors, I like your analogy...pies have only so many slices.===JACK:  Life is often like that.  Some seem to get more (and others, less) than they deserve.  But, I think that God has a way of sorting things out in the end.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Thanx, Jack. We have learned to not to try to help everyone who comes along. We just don't have the resources.===JACK:  It's as my mother-in-law would say to her children when they would come to her with dilemmas..."Do the best you can!"

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Add St. Pauls Union Gospel Mission to that.  Also Feed my Starving Children.  I agree—that list is very helpful.===JACK:  There are so many "worthy" causes.  Thanks for introducing me to two of them.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Your rating guide would be helpful! We receive so many appeals, all of which sound desperately needed!  You're right, you do what you can in your little corner of the world, and through missions, and legitimate concerns. I usually ck out those to whom I send donations!  But, true, everyone can help someone!!===JACK:  Some U.S. Presidents say words that live after them.  "We have nothing to fear but fear, itself," and "The buck stops here."  Reagan's words about helping people are as true to day as when he first spoke them...

FROM STARRY KNIGHT IN CA:  Yes on all 3 accounts!!!! ===JACK:   I think you've got it!

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  make mine Pecan...===JACK:  A friend was with me in a pizza place and asked the server how many slices in a pizza.  She said that there were eight.  "Cut it in to sixteen.  I'm hungry tonight!"

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It’s so hard to want to send something to everyone.  We have our favorites who receive our funds.===JACK:  I know that if you had given all that you could give... and if some real need came up after that, you'd find a way.

No comments: