Thursday, September 06, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 9/6/18
“How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you was?”  (Satchel Paige)  That’s an interesting question, isn’t it?  Ask it of someone today.  “Old Satch” pitched pro-baseball until he was almost 60.  Sometimes, in the bullpen, he’d sit in a rocking chair.  Jack LaLanne, the fitness expert, died at age 96.  He was doing daily workouts until day before he died.  I think that we might be better off if we had a birthday cake without any candles.  Don’t you agree?   ;-)  Jack

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  That IS an interesting question!  I'm younger in mind than in body.  Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Comparison is the thief of  Joy" which is probably true, so at any age be thankful for the capacities YOU have at that moment. No matter how hard life is. there is always
SOME THING to be thankful for! I think  I'd be 20 yrs. younger than my actual age, if I had no idea how old I was....I am blessed!===JACK: It is expected that physical capabilities will diminish with age, so I have no problem with that.  When I see younger people doing things that I can no longer do, I say to myself, "I used to do that when I was their age."  So, in that sense, I am who I am.  To have a clear mind is a blessing beyond description.  To be able to navigate the computer, to be able to see things in perspective, to tell the difference between sense and nonsense, to remember and make decisions...as you wrote, "I am blessed."  Today's birthday is simply a number.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I would like that.  Too many candles on mine!  Ha!===JACK:  I relived my life of 65 years ago and went to the Minnesota State Fair, visiting the spot where the Gloria Dei food booth used to be.  I felt young again!===MARLYS:  You and a few of your closest friends!  Ha!  I didn’t get to the fair this year.  I have a bad ankle—which will be fine by next year!!!  I will go then for sure.  I went to Warren for my 65th class reunion this summer.  Drove up and back by myself and it was wonderful.  Next year they are having an ALL SCHOOL reunion.  I won’t miss that for anything.  Trouble is where to stay.  I stayed with a cousin this year, but her whole family (8 kids) will be back so no room for me.  Oh dear!  I will find someplace for sure!  By the way, I felt like I had not changed a bit!  Ain’t it great!!!  Ha!

FROM DS IN SOCAL:  Boy, isn't that the truth?  I would have to say, "it depends on the day".  Some days I feel like I'm on top of the world...other days I think, what in the world is happening to my body.  Ughhhh   I still consider myself extremely lucky (blessed), but also wonder "why?"  Others are certainly more deserving of His many blessings but tragedy strikes them.===JACK:  Blessings seem to be in short supply for some, and for others (like myself), beyond our deserving.  Why are their inequities in this world?  I like this song... Farther along we'll know all about it  Farther along we'll understand why  Cheer up my brother live in the sunshine  We'll understand it all by and by

FROM CPA BOB:  Our grandchildren always ask how old we are.  What would you suggest we tell them?===JACK:  When my mother-in-law was asked that question she'd hold up her hand and say, "I'm as old as my little finger."

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Is it your birthday Jack?  Or are you, as I am, contemplating the next birth anniversary (because I am celebrating a friend's 80th birthday today)?  Either way, I think you might be 60 if you didn't know how old you are.  At least, I think your brain is only 60 because you are so much more "with it" than a lot of people I know who are in their late 60s and seem to have lost their rationality. Whatever you are, age-wise, blessings each day.===JACK:  Yep!  It's that day again.  I'd like to think that I'm wiser today than I was yesterday...so, instead of looking backward, we should look ahead and say, "I'd like to live another day so that I can become wiser than I was."  How about that for a positive thought?===JAN:  Love it!  What a great attitude to have!  Thank you for that piece of wisdom.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  So…are you pondering your next birthday?  Coming soon?  I think we are as old as our mind thinks we are each day.  Some days we can act like children with our silliness, other days decisions must be made and our adulthood takes over and other days our bodies tell us we are aging because we can’t accomplish what we did when we were younger and our mind then says slow down and enjoy the sights.  I never worry about what ‘age’ I am.  I’m the age of those I’m with – children show us joy, make us aware of new ideas and technology and that we can still be learning; teens and young adults show us views of our past life when we were learning about relationships, leaving home for the first time, the anticipation of a new job and looking into the future; the middle age show us their interest in the various jobs they’ve had in life, the activities they have found to do volunteering in their communities or supporting causes, people older than us show us what we have to look forward to as we age.  Do we want to go kicking and screaming or being helpful to our children or caregivers as we might need their help.  Some in our own age range can show us we are still useful in this world; a lot of work still needs to be done mentoring younger children, young adults, or visiting those that are alone.  Life is to be lived no matter what are age – enjoy every moment of it!===JACK:  Practically all of the people I associate with are younger (far younger) than I am.  I think that has something to do with how we see ourselves.  When I was doing Children's Messages in church, I tried to put myself in the place of the children.  I think that your Bob has that quality.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  I never excelled in math so numbers don’t mean much to me. And frankly, even though math is indeed an exact science, sometimes I don’t think numbers tell the full truth.
I don’t know how old you turn today and it is irrelevant because your spirit, wit, innovative approach to life inspire me - and countless others - with the youth of a teenager. You’re fun and energetic and absolutely the best.   My wish for you today - on your birthday - is continued health, productivity and even some adventure.  May the Almighty continue to use you as as God’s vehicle to bless the rest of us.  Happy birthday!===JACK:  Wow!  Thanks for those words.  I've always appreciated your upbeat spirit.  In these days when many things are being labeled, FAKE, you stand out as being real...a real smile, a real friend, a real faith.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  You’re only as old as you feel! Each day is different for me! Some days it’s 40 and other days it’s 90!===JACK:  To me, you'll always be the Shirl I knew in high school.

FROM TRIHARDER:  29===JACK:  Somehow, I'm not surprised.  29, but with the wisdom that you have at the present time.===th:  If wisdom equals experience, yes, dxrpt when physically, I act like I'm 29.===JACK:   Enjoy it while you can.  Sooner than you can say, "Jack Robinson," the 29 will turn to 89.===TH:  I am.  Thsnk you!  You, too!

FROM VW MARY:  Age would vary A LOT from day to day!===JACK:  Where did you find the Fountain of Youth?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Probably 25 some days and sitting in a rocking chair some days.  It’s all the way you want to feel.  Just the young ones get the correct amount of candles the rest of us get a handful.===JACK:  When they start putting candles shaped like numbers on your cake instead of actual number of candles...you're over the hill.

PRAW:  I agree. I just turned 89....and my age fluctuates between 39 and 99...depending on the day and time. ===JACK:  You're just a whipper-snapper (Whipper-snapper: The meaning of 'whipper snapper  a youngster with an excess of both ambition and impudence.===AW:  wish that were true...but at least I still look twice at a pretty girl.




No comments: