Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 9/5/18
“Don’t hurry.  Don’t worry.  You’re only here for a short visit, so be sure to stop and smell the flowers.”  (Walter Hagen)  I’m told that the famous golfer Walter Hagen lived for a short time in the same house where I live.  Maybe I should put out a sign: “The Haig slept here!”  Perhaps more important is to have a yard with flowers: roses, lily of the valley, Jack-in-the- pulpit and Rose of Sharon.  Concentrate in this life on the most important things.   ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My Rose of Sharon is in bloom right now...it is beautiful.  I am out almost every morning to tend to my garden and smell the roses...beautiful out there...===JACK:  You probably know that the name "rose of Sharon" appears in the Song of Solomon (2:1), the beloved says "I am the rose of Sharon, a rose of the valley."  In Sunday School we used to sing...
I’ve found a friend in Jesus, He’s everything to me,  He’s the fairest of ten thousand to my soul;
The Lily of the Valley, in Him alone I see  All I need to cleanse and make me fully whole.
In sorrow He’s my comfort, in trouble He’s my stay;  He tells me every care on Him to roll.
He’s the Lily of the Valley, the Bright and Morning Star,
He’s the fairest of ten thousand to my soul.

FROM SF:  So we have just learned this strong lesson. G had a stroke last week and we just got home from the hospital last night. It was a ‘large stroke’, but thank God, he had zero impairment. His heart checked out beautifully as well. So he was sent home with some meds and will wear a heart monitor for four weeks.===JACK:  The words, "You're only here for a short visit," are a reminder that life is but one breath...and then another.  "Stroke" is a scary word.  Both of you are being added to my daily Prayer List

FROM TL:  Jack, today’s WWs hit home.  I have said many times to my wife and children that we are here but for a blinking of an eye, in the grand scheme of things.   Thanks for the reminder. ===JACK:  1 Corinthians 15:52 describes the "blink" this way..."in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye."  That's quick.  Practice a blink now, and think!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  We agree - we've tried to create a small area where we can sit, coffee and unplug.  Wish I had Hagen's golf game!===JACK:  I remember reading in the Bible that there was a time when Jesus had to "get away from it  all," and so he went off to (unplug) be alone.===RS:  We’ll pretend we’re on Japanese time, in which case- Happy Birthday 🎂!===JACK:  I'll pretend that it's 1945 and graduating from high school.

George Burns - "I wish I was 18 again" - YouTube

===RS:  George was one of a kind.  1945 -  a very good year ....considering I made my entrance into this world then.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i take it you like rose of sharon. me, too. and roses and lilies of the valley and...===JACK:  I tend to have an affinity toward "Jack-in-the-pulpit."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Flowers are just so very pretty...God’s Masterpieces along with the clouds, the mountains, the rivers etc.  we are blessed!===JACK:  I like the Bible verse..."Consider the lilies, how they grow.  They toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Be careful Walter was the famous womanizer drinker and carouser. You don’t want to have your sterling reputation impugned. Unless of course you’re Going through a phase in your old age.===JACK:  There's a saying: "Is these walls could talk..."  I'll have to trying listening sometime.  As a realtor, you've probably walked through many homes with interesting stories to be told - if the walls could talk.

FROM GO BLUE LYNN:  Better Walter than AL Haig===JACK:  Only old fogies remember General Alexander Haig.  He has been reincarnated today with the name, General John Kelly.

FROM PROUD MARY:  our message to the hurrying child at school was simply, "no hurries...no worries".  i loved hearing it when the said it to each other or one of the teachers. song of the day i learned as a child..."white coral bells upon a slender stalk...lily of the valley deck my garden walk...oh how i wish that you could hear them ring...that can only happen when the fairies sing!" ===JACK:  I remember that song...I think that is was often sung as a "round."  BTW, in your experience, what did small children seem to worry about...mostly?===MARY:  Yes, it was and that's the way we sang it.  i think that children worry about the unknown.  anticipating something new causes anxiety. once they are guided through new situations or their questions are answered in an age appropriate manner the fear goes away. pondering my response...i think my answer may pertain to all children no matter what age child we are!

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Did Mary or Hagen plant those lovely blossoms?===JACK:  When we moved in there was only one little spindly tree in the yard and no flowers, only weeds.  The upgrade to flowers and over 30 trees was Mary's doing.  She especially liked Lily of the Valley.===BB:  I love that fragrance.  Sometimes you’ll pass a city yard with this wonderful aroma and see no plantings yet there at the base of the bushes are a few Lily of the Valley plants springing out.

FRPM DAZ IN COLORADO:  I like that. We'll be sure to "smell the flowers"  during our visit with you.===JACK:  The Rose of Sharon should still be in bloom.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Your yard is a treasure of flowers!. I, like your Mary, love the Lily of the Valley;  Had a nice bed of those at my former Lake house. We have Rose of Sharon on the golf course, so beautiful! Even those of us granted long years, know how fleeting our lives are in comparison to the millions of years of Earth's history!  AND the endlessness of Space...that fascinates me! So much to learn, so little time, so make each day count, right?!===JACK:  I know that RLS is a favorite author of yours.  I like what he wrote:  "The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."









No comments: