Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 9/18/18
“1. Never give up!  2. Be nice to one another.  3. Think good thoughts.  4. Try to do better.  5. Say please and thank you.”  (Rules to live by--RuthAnn Lillstrom)  Ruthie’s Rules remind me of a NYT article: 27 Rules of Etiquette for Our Times.  A common denominator is to “Think of the other person’s feelings first!”  Life isn’t always about YOU!  Turn off that phone…Use the turn signal more than the finger…Don’t Facebook gossip…Chew with your mouth closed.   ;-)  Jack

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  6. Don’t pick on old friends, play nice===JACK:  I've quoted this before.  The job of the pastor is "to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable."

FROM SF:  Yup! ===JACK:  It seems as though every school has rules.  I've forgotten what they were in "my day," except for NO RUNNING IN THE HALLS, so I'd just walk fast.

FROM DB:  Two things that I absolutely hate:  when someone answers and talks on their phone when you are visiting with them and when people play with their phone when you are eating with them ……….. the epitome of disregard!===JACK:  I wouldn't say that I "hate" it, but I dislike it very much.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Wow!  Great reminders for every day!===JACK:  From my experience, Carol doesn't need reminders to be polite.

FROM LJ:  This will be in my Sales Meeting next week, for sure. Thanks Jack and let me know when you would like to get together.===JACK:  I’ve always seen myself in “sales,” so sales meetings are interesting to me.  Sometime I would like to sit in on one of yours (without disclosing to others what went on).

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  We need to buy a billboard with those rules on it on all the roads into Washington DC. Airport included.===JACK:  Burma-Shave signs used to be effective.  How about this one...
You know
Your onions
Lettuce suppose
This beets 'em all
Don't turnip your nose
use Burma-Shave ..
and try to be NICE!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We are all still here for a reason so we might as well do our best to make our world a better one!===JACK:  I recently read that the single most powerful factor in having good health is to have a "purpose in your life.

FROM PROUD MARY:  Oh and how proud this mary is of my sister ruthie! She’s a winning words celeb! ,,,and   Be kind to everyone.  Be kind to everything.  Be kind to yourself.  The only rules we practiced at preschool ❤️===JACK:  Tell me about the pre-schoolers who are now adults.  Have you seen positive results from your teaching?===MARY:  So many of my past preschoolers have come back to see me. They all have seemed happy and kind. My staff organized a great open house at the Grayslake museum for my retirement. I was graced with visits from past friends of all ages. Many three generation families attended. It was magical and I felt so honored. As far as how much my teaching helped...it’s a group effort. Parents learn from us. Children learn from us and the kindness keeps moving on.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Thanks for the smile.  You and Nancy are peas in a pod despite your height disparity===JACK:  Real life is not all smiles, but my sister and I had enough of them in our growing up years that have affected our adult years and how we react to things.

Nat King Cole - Smile - YouTube

===BB: Don’t get me weepy.  That is one of my father’s favorite songs… the Nat version too!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As I said in yesterday's reply, Kindness and Politeness are underused in our world today, which has become so divisive, hateful and rude!  We can all determine to make a difference by being the person who shows unconditional love, especially to kids and the underprivileged!  I try to be very positive, smile a lot, and encourage when I can, and people DO respond! (Notice I said TRY: I'm far from perfect!!)===JACK:  Son David, who is my content editor, commented that I was using "kindness" two days in a row.  Maybe it should be three.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Good rules to live by!===JACK:  Outhouse Rules...
Gather a handful of leaves before entering
Shoo out wasps, spiders and other critters
Wipe seat of any substance left by others
If no heat, do not strike matches inside
Be respectful!  Do your thing and get out
Save some leaves for the next person




No comments: