Monday, May 07, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/7/19
“A man who both spends and saves money is the happiest man, because he has both enjoyments.”  (Samuel Johnson)  At 5 yrs old I began selling the Saturday Evening Post in the neighborhood.  Since then I’ve always seemed to have money (not a lot) to spend.  I remember making my first church pledge…$1 a week, 10% of $10.  A friend used to wear a T-shirt: 10-10-80.  10% for charity, 10% for savings and 80% for everything else.  “It works!” he’d say.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i have often promoted the 10/10/80 lifestyle.  and yes, it does work!  btw, can you still get me a subscription to the Sat. Evening Post?:):)  i always liked the covers? ====JACK:  The cost of a 1932 issue of the magazine would be $14.  Still interested?  Norman Rockwell, famous for his Post   covers, started working for the magazine in 1916 and retired 47 years later, having crested more than 300 covers.

FROM JB IN OLV:  Good morning  This is my philosophy-Bill on the other hand,  is more fond of the saving and not spending part.====JACK:  When she was working at Montgomery Ward, mu mother received her pay in cash.  Each week she'd take that money and put it into envelopes designated for its use...food, rent, etc.  I don't think that there was an envelope for savings during the Great Depression.

FROM MY LAWYER:  Don’t forget the taxes!!!====JACK:  They're in the "everything else."  I'm one who sees my taxes as "the cost of living in the community and country that is mine."  I would never choose to abandon America to live elsewhere so I could lower my tax bill.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I just don’t spend money I don’t have! Father Coleman used to print what each parishioner contributed each week! Our generation was lucky because we had our priorities in order. Btw we went to the graduation at the U of Florida yesterday and the future of our country will be in good hands! It was all a good inspiration!====JACK:  When I became the pastor of my first church my predecessor would print the giving record of each member at the end of the year.  When I suggested ending that custom the church council said that offerings would decrease, because members would give higher amounts to avoid looking cheap.  Well, they went along with me and at the end of the year offerings were significantly higher.  The subject never came up again...and as far as the future of our country is concerned, I'm perfectly satisfied to leave it in the hands of the younger generation.  My grandchildren are far more responsible than I was at their age.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  If you don't take the tithe to the church out first, it's usually not there later! Pretty hard for young couples with children to put money aside these days! But then it was hard when we were raising a family, too. Bill was much better at it than I!!  Credit cards have made "instant gratification" available, which is a great temptation to spend before you have it!  A difficult lesson for many! Bill had couples he counseled before marriage write out a budget...it was an eye-opener for most! :-) JUst returned from the marriage of Jan and Hal's 37 yr. old grandson in WI. Lovely! Hope they have a handle on saving & spending!====JACK:  I can imagine that only a few enjoy paying taxes...but just stop and think of the advantages that come with that payment: schools, police, fire & EMS, parks, libraries, roads, city govt.  As for church contributions, there's a saying: Give til it hurts.  Someone has changed that to Give til it feels good.  A modern translation of "The Lord loves a cheerful giver" to read, "The Lord loves the one who gives hilariously." 

FROM JB:  My father's saying was "Live on 50% of what you earn. Give away 10%,  save 10% and the government will take 30%"  Basically the same as 10-10-80 without the government====JACK:  In Tennessee didn't they they call them, Revenuers?  For all it's faults, I see far more positive results from the taxes I pay.



No comments: