Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/23/18
“Love is the only game that is not called on account of darkness.”  (Thomas Carlyle)  T.C. has a sense of humor, that’s for sure.  Did you have a curfew when you were young?  I was pretty much allowed to use my own judgment.  Responsibility ideally is taught in the home.  “Take out the ashes!  Clean up after your dog!”  Looking back, isn’t it surprising to see how what we are today was learned at home?  I’m still smiling at the Carlyle quote.    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP:  “Take out the ashes” huh. Now there is a chore that is generationally telling. Kids and I were discussing how I was born in a different century and how if they live to 100 they will see 2100. This is way off topic from your WW but just struck me to read====JACK:  There's usually a reason for why I write what I write, and you captured one of them.  Did you explain "ashes" to your children, or do I need to explain it to you?====LBP:  Har har ... We had a wood stove in the basement for years.  We used it when the power went out. Eventually had to get rid of it for insurance purposes :( ===JACK:  ...and I'll bet you a donut that "you" never had to carry out the ashes.  ====LBP:  I owe you a baked good ;)

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i was allowed to use my own judgment, too... which was a wonderful gift, as i look back.====JACk:  "My own judgment" wasn't always perfect, but that lends credence to the saying, "We learn from our mistakes."

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Or rain!====JACK:  One of my favorite songs (and videos)...
I'm singin' in the rain  Just singin' in the rain  What a glorious feelin'  I'm happy again.
I'm laughing at clouds.  So dark up above  The sun's in my heart  And I'm ready for love.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I guess I was spoiled! At least that was the consensus of my children and Shirley B. when they were discussing it one day! Anyway I have had and am having a wonderful life! ====JACK:  What do you think?  Do the "spoiled" spoil their children?====SHIRL:  I have never thought about that but I was an only child! We had four children in two and a half years so there were not enough hours in one day to spoil anyone. The twins always had each other and those were the years of large families!

FROM DS IN SOCAL:  Not enough being taught in the home these days. ====JACK:  That may be true, but I'm proud of the way my grandchildren are being raised.====DS: Just returned LATE last night from Moline.  I agree...not ALL of the parents (our kids) are doing a bad job.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We had to be in when the street lights came on.  When I got older it depended on what I was doing.====JACK:  I can't recall that we ever "grounded" our kids.  Were you ever grounded?  Probably not!

No comments: