Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/22/18
“What do you hear, Laurel or Yanny?”  (Katie Hetzel)  Katie started the L or Y craze simply as part of a homework assignment.  Have you listened?  What do you hear?  As Bishop Michael Curry preached at the Royal Wedding, I wondered what the people were hearing…”I loved it!” and “It wasn’t for me.”  I suppose it was unusual to have that kind of preacher and that kind of sermon in St. George’s Chapel.  I heard. “Love is the way!”  Perfect for a wedding!    ;-)  Jack

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  I loved it!====JACK:  Are you a Laurel or a Yanny?

FROM TRIGARDER:  Why does no one hear "Larry"?====JACK:  Moe and Curly do!

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i am a “cradle” episcopalian. his grandstanding was inappropriate. invoking mlk & slaves was better left to another venue.====JACK:  From her body language, the Queen seemed to be hearing what you were hearing.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I LOVED it too!====JACK: I heard it in the same way.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Amazing address, and as our rector said on Sunday, Pentecost, the disciples may have reached 3,000 but Bishop Curry reached out to millions.  What a platform he had!  The Queen and the royals got a bit restless.  Apparently  he was given 6 minutes but spoke for 15!  We British certainly  know how to do weddings!====JACK:  I noticed the "restlessness, too, and wondered if it was the result of physical agism, or because of the incongruity of "modern" preaching in a "traditional" setting.  I liked watching the carriage ride.  I'm sure that not all British wedding are like that.

No comments: