Thursday, May 17, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/17/18
“Silence is foolish if we are wise, but wise if we are foolish.”  (Charles Colton)  My Uncle John would say to me (in Swedish), "håll käften".  I couldn’t understand Swedish, but I knew that it meant, “Keep your mouth shut!”  A wise person knows when to “håll käften,”  But there are also times when we need to speak up.  To know the difference is truly the mark of wisdom.  Are there (wise) persons who come to your mind?  Someone suggested, Dan Rather.    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  ha! dan rather is wise?!? now i know you are just trying to get a rise out of me...so i will counter with “president donald trump is wise.” take that! 😂====JACK:  I know how to"pull your chain."  You're too young to remember Dan in his prime.

FROM WALMART REV:  Can't think of something 'witty' to answer with! It most likely would be wiser to answer with nothing at all! ====JACK:  I was just reading this quote by Dale Carnegie..."When you have nothing to say, say nothing."

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Silence often makes sense if one is speaking to a person who has no intention of "hearing" what is said.====JACK:  Getting in the "last word" doesn't always mean success.  Sometimes silence is the best answer.  Did you ever use silence in debate?====JOHN:  No, but we often softly and clearly in response to "Rangers"....it was a good tactic====JOHN:  Sorry that was a typo...the word is "ranters".   ( The computer tried to change it to Rangers this time, too)

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Maybe MLK, Nelson Mandela, Luther?====JACK:  I like to use the qualifier, MAYBE.  It makes a statement, but also provides an escape.

FROM LBP:  As I navigate may way into new leadership positions I have to remind myself to keep my mouth shut. Each team member was added for their expertise. I listen. I learn. I try my darnedest not to helicopter parent.====JACK:  I just read a Lee Iacocca quote: "The speed of the boss is the speed of the tteam."  Applying it your situation, "The sense of the leader is the sense of the team."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Mark Twain:  JACK:  A good suggestion...although some of his wisdom might be a bit salty for your taste.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I've had it both ways.  If we don't know much about a situation it's always wise to remain silent, letting others who know speak.  There have been times when I didn't speak up when I actually knew more than the person who was speaking like "the expert."  Regrettably things would have gone better if I had shown wisdom and said what I knew.====JACK:  I must confess that it's happened the other way for me...not often, but enough so that I've learned the lesson.  "You,ve got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em," as the song goes.

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  So true!====JACK:   You have some wise genes in your pool.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Our current president

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Rex Tillerson and David Gergen come to mind.====JACK:  Rex seems to have become more strident since "being fired."  I like the "independent" Gergen.  Do you see it that way?====ME:  Have not noticed the strident side of Tillerson but agree with you re Gergen.====JACK:  Strident is probably the wrong word.  Rex appears to more freely express his own mind.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:   My question is this—How did you get the little markings on top of the Swedish words?====JACK:   I could say that I have a Swedish computer, but, in reality, I Google "translate shut up into Swedish, then copy and paste the result.

No comments: