Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 4/25/18
“I’d rather know a square guy than own a square mile.”  (Wilson Mizner)  Calling someone “square” goes back several centuries…“He’s honest, loyal, reliable.”  The jazz world introduced a new definition in the 1940s …“He’s dull, out of touch, old-fashioned.”  Mizner is using the older definition…an honest friend is far more valuable than having one who is rich and not honest and dependable.  Count yourself blessed when you have a friend who is square.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM GDL:  You fit the bill for me. Still gratefully remember your gently wise mentoring when I was (in Michigan) ====JACK:  We were "just talkin'" like friends do.

FROM GF:  I’m glad to call you my friend.====JACK:  As I look back on it, we've really had some good conversations... Ben Casnocha, in his book, The Alliance, describes the "close friend" who you don't see very often, or talk to very often, but still consider to be important in your life.  I like the word, sympatico.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  : "A melancholy lesson of advancing years is the realization that
you can't make old friends." Those that share a long past with us are dear indeed!  I like the first definition of square! Probably most of us "oldies" fit into both definitions to some degree...:-) ====JACK:  Interesting...Square (meal, deal, shooter, block, root, etc).

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  does this have anything to do with that cartoon character,  Bob Square Pants??====JACK:  I suppose it has to do with the shape of SpongeBob (square, like a kitchen sponge).  In order to fit, his pants would have to have a square shape.  BTW, in the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade, there's a balloon in the shape of Captain Underpants.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yes I have many friends who r square and I have lost many along the way!  ====JACK:  Do you know the origin of the saying, "Be there, or be square?"
Guy 1: There's gonna be a party later tonight, dude!  Be there, or be square!
Guy 2: What does that even mean, bro?
Guy 1: Be there or you're being a square, because you're not a-round, man!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I sent this to my “Square Friends”!  Thanks====JACK:  Four of them (4-Square)?  BTW, Aimee Semple McPhereson formed the Foursuare Gospel Church.  She once dressed as a traffic cop and rode into her church on a motorcycle.  She got off and began her sermon,,,"Stop! You're speeding on the way to Hell!"





No comments: