Monday, April 23, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 4/23/18
“You gotta do what you gotta do when you gotta do it.”  (Denny McLain)  If I were to meet Denny, I’d want to ask: “How do you cope?”  Daughter’s death, wife’s illness, pain, prison, self-blame, regrets.  It can be overwhelming!  “What do you do?”  Everyone has their situations, but some seem worse than others.  In the end, if there’s time, I’d like to talk some baseball with the last pitcher in MLB to win over 30 games (28 complete)…and at age 24.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ROBERT:  Justin Verlander is the only one I've met while walking down Maple in downtown Birmingham.  I thought you had also met him?====JACK:  Nope.  I passed Dennis Rodman in Birmingham.  I also pumped gas beside Pistons coach Chuck Daly at a Shell station.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I was up here the year that he won thirty.   Great team.   Outstanding pitcher.   Seemed to lack ethics.====JACK:  Professional sports is a hard business and sometimes saps a players ethics.  According to the article I read, he seems to be taking another look at life.  another quote in the article..."I've got a whole lot of things to talk to God about."====JOHN:  Lots of work pursuits raise difficulties.   Sports is only one of them.   Ethics is critical to navigate the rough waters we face in those endeavors.   Our present President seems to be almost bereft of any ethical considerations.   He is an horrific example to our people.   I still really admire Barack Obama for the lifestyle he was able to pursue in the midst of a myriad of temptations.====JACK:  Being a pastor has its share of ethical/moral challenges, too.  Re: Trump.  For one who seemingly lacks a moral compass, it is impossible to expect him to be guided by what he lacks.====JOHN:  Is he amoral or immoral?    If he lacks an ethical compass, he is the first.   If he just spits in the eye of an ethic he knows and pretends to accept, then he is immoral.   I think he is the latter.   Interesting question. ====JACK:  I vote for amoral!  I don't think he has a moral sense of right and wrong.  Actions and words are right or wrong only as they fit the situation...another way of looking at Situation Ethics.

FROM TRIHARDER:  Just hang on to your wallet. I knew a young woman who worked for him on his TV show (Channel 20?) in the 70s. It was a weekly struggle for her up get a paycheck. This was a precursor to his legal problems. ====JACK:  Our reputation follows us, to be sure.  I'm in the business of helping people to change.  It doesn't always work, but time and circumstances have a way of causing people to readjust their way of thinking.  BTW, I'm not always an optimistic thinker.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  funny thing, i quoted Denny McLain in my sermon yesterday.  talking about the need for a Shepherd to guide us thru life  on Good Shepherd Sunday,  the quote was taken from a newspaper article after he went to prison, years ago.  he said,  "How did i ever get from where i was to where i am today" (in prison).  sounds like he really has re-built his life.  happy spring, Jack.====JACK:  As for why McLain wound up in prison...let the people who believe that God causes all things to happen answer that question.  The gift of free-will carries with it the consequences for how it is used.  HOWEVER..We can be thankful that God has also invented GRACE.====PAUL:  Amen to that!!

FROM SHALOM JAN:  AARP news has an interview with Denny.  If you haven't seen it yet, do so.  Interesting.====JACK:  That issue is sitting unread on my kitchen table.  Your message saved it from the recycling bag.

FROM MV:  My Dad and I got up that historic Saturday morning, drove to Tiger Stadium from Flint and witnessed his 30th win. It was funny that Reggie Jackson was playing for Oakland(their opponents that day) and was carrying a sign saying Whoever their pitcher was(could have been Catfish Hunter) was going for his 15th or 19th or 16th victory. Even though the full attention and publicity was on Denny. Flint was the infamous place that was the beginning of the end of Denny’s career as he played the organ at The Shorthorn Restaurant and ran into some bad characters there. ====JACK:  How fortunate it was for you and your dad to have seen that game.  How fortunate, too, that we don't have to continually live with bad decisions we've made in the past.  The Bible assures us that "though your sins be as scarlet, they can be white as wool."  Sometimes that's difficult to comprehend.  I would remind Denny of that...if we should meet.====MV:  That would be a great conversation to have with Denny.====JACK:  One of life's joys for me is to be able to talk and relate to people in a way that personally brings them into the conversation.  It once worked that way with Billy Graham.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  “Man’s Fame” is fleeting. I wonder how Denny’s faith is.====JACK:  I've learned that before I attempt to judge the faith of others, I need to examine my own.  Then, I echo the quote of the man who came to Jesus and said, "God be merciful to me, a sinner."  In McLain's case, I see the ongoing events of his life causing to think more deeply about "God" in his life.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I can truly say I would pray!  And I do!====JACK:  Praying:  "Talking it over with God."====JUDY:  Absolutely!  Perhaps the world’s biggest problem is no God no prayer!  God cannot be removed for us but many try!  Prayer prayer prayer!    Are many many prayers from many many people...we have Spring!  God is good all the time!
   




No comments: