Thursday, April 19, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 4/19/18
“Dancing is poetry with arms and legs.”  (Charles Baudelaire)  If someone were to examine my dancing they’d probably call it doggerel.  I recall two specific instances.  UGH  YouTube Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell to see real poetry.  There’s a parable which says that the Master gave each servant talents, not the same to everyone.  So, instead of being envious of what was given to others, let’s concentrate on what’s been given to us and make the best use of it.    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  had to look ip “doggerel.” i learn all sorts of things from you!  i can dance in private, but would never dance in public... too shy.====JACK:  I even get embarrassed when I try to dance in private.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  you have lots of talents, Jack.  and yes, i too could never dance worth a darn.  two left feet for sure.  don't think two right feet would have even helped all that much!!
...some amazing foot work here between Powell and Astaire.  can't imagine moving my feet so fast and so rhythmically.====JACK:  In Wisconsin I enjoyed listening to polka bands and watching the polka dancers.  One of the songs was: "In heaven there is no beer.  That's why we drink it here."  ====SP:  i recall that song.   was it Whoopie John and the ________?   at Concordia the joke was that sex was banned on campus because it might lead to dancing!

FROM WALMART REV:  "...out of breath watching!!"====JACK:  Is "close" dancing a sin in the AG Church?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Those grand old movies and their extraordinary dancers!  I love to watch those movies!  My favorite dancers were Gene Kelly and Donald O'Conner.  And the beautiful ladies who danced with them.  I especially love Debbie Reynolds.  Our kids AND grandkids watched "Singin' in the Rain".  It's our favorite movie.===JACK:  Kurt Browning has a great video of him skating to Singing in the Rain.     

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  ...and as they said about Ginger Rogers....she did everything Fred Astaire did, but did it in high heels and backwards.  Gene Kelly comes to mind as well.====JACK:  I don't see much tap dancing anymore.  Do you remember when guys would wear metal plates on their leather heels?  The clicking sound was supposed to be cool.====RS:  I do remember that.  Sammy Davis, Jr. among others I believe.====JACK:  Lawrence Welk featured tap dancer, Arthur Duncan, for many years on his show.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: WOWIE!! What a treat to see those two perform, and also the next one, Old Movie Stars Dance to Uptown Punk!  Such talent!! I could do the "close dancing" and a little jitterbug, but no tapping...which as you say you don't see much anymore!====JACK:  I remember when Augie forbid close dancing on campus....only square dancing permitted.  My sister used to "tap dance" to The Good Ship, Lollipop.

FROM LBP:  This time two years ago I was prepping for my first and only dance recital. We had a FANTASTIC dress rehearsal ;)====JACK:  Was it poetry with arms and legs, or just arms and legs?  Is there a video?











No comments: