Friday, April 13, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 4/13/18
“Perhaps even these things, one day, will be pleasing to remember.”  (Virgil)  I’ve had my share of embarrassing situations in the past and shake my head at them.  Most of what I’ve read seems to say that people want to forget those times.  Similar, but different, are traumatic and sad events, like suffering and death.  Virgil reminds me today of some of the “dumb” things that I did as a kid …and even as an adult (and would like a do-over).  How about you?   ;-)  Jack

FROM GOD ROX:  You slept in this morning! ====JACK:  You noticed!  I've decided, in my old age, that getting up at 3:30 Am to send out WWs is not worth it.  There's an old German saying...
“We grow too soon old and too late smart”

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Nope. Never did a dumb thing. Not once.====JACK:  I was part of the "Cavendish Gang," and you were the one on the white horse.

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  So true, so true. True to the saying; if I only knew then what I know now   Happy Friday!  Big snow storm is on the way to Minny.   Urgg…I am so ready for Spring! ====JACK:  Knowing you...I can believe it.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  "Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit" -- Vergil  This is on a bookmark in a small book, The Heritage of the West, given me by my third year Latin teacher when I graduated from high school.  She knew how hard I had to work, how great my struggles had been, entering a class in my senior year of third and fourth year Latin in a new school in a new community.  I treasure the bookmark even more than the book which she also inscribed and was signed by the authors.  It's also a good quote to recall after we had our mother's Memorial Service yesterday.  She died at the age of 103 years, six days, on March 5th.  Scott, Jill and I, and our children and grandchildren have a lot of memories to that are good/helpful/pleasurable.====JACK:   There comes a time to say, Good-bye, and to celebrate a life well-lived...and the memories that go with it.  My thoughts are with you at this time.  How fortunate, too, to have had a teacher who knew how to teach.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I like to remember just the happy things!😊😊😊====JACK:  The "other" things are a reminder of how God has been with me always...and did not abandon me.  I "see" turning points in my life that I believe were God-directed.

FROM DS IN SOCAL:  Jack, I pleased to say I have only 1 or maybe 2 (thousand) things I would like a do-over====JACK:  Times were different way back then.  Maybe that's why we have similar memories of similar experiences.

FROM LBP:  It was the practice of the congregation I attended to have teens do the sermon one day a year and I had been invited. I was happy to be asked and had a topic in mind. But what I produced was extremely terrible! Unfortunately, I hadn't learned yet that I HAVE to script my talks. I may not read the script, but the practice of scripting it is what makes it work for me. Instead I took the advice of my HS friend who said that scripted sermons were boring and I should be more casual. I was rambling, incoherent, and possibly even insulting on reflection. The congregation had three services too and it did not improve over repeated attempts. In fact I hid out in the bathroom after service to avoid people feeling they had to talk to me about it. To this day, my parents never mentioned that event. We went home, had our lunch and went about the day. I think dad video taped the disaster. Hopefully, he also recorded over it!====JACK:  I still have the notes from my first sermon.  BAAD!  I'll show them to you sometime.====LBP:  I did it again in college and it was better. Had a script that time. If I ever have to do it again, I'm going with what I know, teaching. That is the second thing I learned over time... my talks work if I have learning objectives. But I suppose most talks are good if they have a point! ====JACK:  We were taught in seminary to take the text and connect5 it up with life.  Make the sermon relevant to the world in which the people are living.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Oh yes, many embarrassing moments, like running out of gas on the busiest bridge in town in my baby doll pajamas, with no money, no shoes, or robe, AND having to walk to a gas station and confess I was the Baptist Pastor's wife, and needed a loan of gas to carry back to my car to  get home! (The station owner was in church the nexr Sunday! Ha!)  These embarrassing moments formed the gist of a hilarious talk "Memories of the Manse" in later years. So many stories which are really funny as I looked back, not funny at the time!    hank God for a sense of humor, and a kind and unflappable husband!! :-)  We'd all like a few "do-overs"!!====JACK:  I can't imagine you being non-plussed...even on the bridge.  What a great story!

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Only one.... A time I took the Pastor to lunch and a fashion show entertained us.  I know that is one you will never let me forget!!!!! Happy to see you at it again. I missed the WW and was concerned. Sincerely hope your emergency was not too serious or lasting. I just had 12 needle biopsies done and I am grateful all were negative. Even bad guys like me are cared for by  God.====JACK:  It was not a Fashion Show, it was a Lingerie Show...and you were flustered.  I remember it as though it were yesterday...and smile.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Absolutely!  But if I had any “Do-overs”, I wouldn’t change a thing.  Those things, even the unpleasant unhappy things are what made me today!====JACK:  When you were created, God didn't say, "Let's have a do-over."  For better or worse, we are who we are.:

FROM AA CK:  Well Jack, you try to live well and without regret. However it seems inevitable. I think we all have something we would like to do better.====JACK:  Sometimes we are granted do-overs.  I try to make the best of 2nd chances.







No comments: