Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 4/10/18
“I am totally lacking the ‘zippity’ part of my ‘do dah’ day.” (Sent by PZ)  I laughed at this one, because I know what it is to lose your zip.  Pete Seeger sang, “My get up and go has got up and went.”  Pete continues, “I’m able to grin when I think where my get up has been…But I’ll stick around to see what is next.”  That’s good philosophy when the do-dah-day isn’t going so well.  Celebrate the memories and say with Scarlett, “Tomorrow is another day.”    ;-)  Jack 

FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:  Vacancies up here result in my being active about 2 times a month.   I begin the worship with:
Zippity do dah,  Zippity  eh
My, oh my, what a wonderful day.
Jesus is risen,  He’s here today.
He sends the Spirit to show us God’s way.
Rah!   Rah!  Rah!
====JACK:  Do you sing it, or speak it?  Reuben Youngdahl used to begin his daily radio program by speaking loudly..."Up, up and away.  This is God's day.  Are you going God's way?"  Robert Schuller would begin his TV services by quoting, "This is the day that the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it."  I'd like to have seen him use your opening.

FROM INDY GENIE:  When my neighbor’s zip is not quite all there he says, “I’ve got a hitch in my get-go.” :)====JACK:  I've heard of people having a hitch in their step.  (I had to find out more.)  It can mean to walk unevenly, with a jerk, with a limp...sort of like Chester in Gunsmoke.  A hitch in the get-go can mean that things aren't going smoothly.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Made me laugh because my zip and zapped!====JACK:  Zippity do dah can describe going to the outhouse in the cold of winter, too.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Thanks for the smile.  All of those old songs lift your heart.  Music is a gift.  A more somber one might be “smile”.  My father always liked that one and played it on the piano. ====JACK:  Smile is one of my favorites, too.  It reminds me of Charlie Chaplin  and how he used the song in a silent movie.  Some of the "silents" were good, because of the descriptive music.  ====BB:  We have an historical landmark theater call the Music Box in Chicago that’s nearly 100 years old.  They sometimes screen silent films and have an organ and organist.  Think it is no longer pipes but the fidelity is good.  He also plays between movies on the weekend in the large theater where they still use the 70 mm format.  The movies are great.  Last time I was there it happened to be Doris Day’s 96th? Birthday and he played an ode to her.  I didn’t realize the songs he played were all ones she made famous but they lifted my heart nonetheless.====JACK:  In her prime, DD was really good...and her songs were, too...Fly Me To The Moon...Sentimental Journey...Que Sera Sera...Dream A Little Dream.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  song of the day...and I’m sure your get up and go still needs some rest! I used the Scarlett line yesterday when I left work...====JACK:  I like that idea of quoting Scarlett as you leave work.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Ha! I love that quote; that was me a couple of weeks ago when I had my little dizzy episode and ended up in emergency and laid up for 3 days...I'm sure it is you, as you recover fromyour serious infection hospital stay!  I lead singing for the Clergy  Spouses retreat the end of this month, and am going to use the Zippity call to worship shared in todays blog! :-)  stay well, dear friend!====JACK:  Somehow, I never pictured Jesus as a ZIPPY kind of a guy.



No comments: