Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 1/9/18
“The sweetest of all sounds is praise.”  (Xenophon)  Without “Googling”, who knows what band played “the sweetest music this side of heaven?”  No. it wasn’t Spike Jones.  We usually think of sugar when we think of something sweet.  But, how about people…like Sweet Sue?  Or, how about situations?  I remember how teens would like something and say, “Sweet!”  Were you one of those?  And we all like to hear what Xenophon described…”Sweet words!”    ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Interesting that Xenophon should come up that is the name of my father in law right now several relatives are doing ancestry.com which is indeed fascinating ====JACK:  The choice of names for newborns is an interesting process.  In the "Top 50 most popular in 2017" Sophia is #1 among girls and Jackson for the boys.  John comes in at #46 and Shirley didn't make the list.  Sophia means, wisdom, and was a common name in the Middle Ages.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Anyone around back in the 50's knows "the sweetest music..." was from Guy Lombardo.====JACK:  A friend of mine used to call him, Gus Lumbago.  BTW, have you ever heard of lumbago?====RI:  Years ago there was a lot of talk about lumbago...like today you hear about fibromyalgia.  I think lumbago was about pain in the leg muscles.====JACK:  My father often complained about his lumbago.  I think that it was related to pain in the lower back.  I just looked it up...the lumbar is the lower part of the spine.

ROM HONEST JOHN:  Was it Glenn Miller?====JACK:  Your incorrect answer indicates that you're a whippersnapper.

FFROM TARMART REV:  "It gets sweeter as the day goes by!" (Sweeter As The Days Go By - by Hezekiah Walker) ====JACK:  I thought that you might have referred to the hymn, "In the sweet by and by."

FROM CB UPNORTH:  Guy Lombardo -- I think of him every New Year's Eve. Oh-oh, showing my age!====JACK:  For almost 50 years. each New Year's Eve,, from the Waldorf Astoria, the Royal Canadians would begin the play "For Auld Lang Syne" at the stroke of midnight.  My granddaughter had never heard of him.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: You’ve got me on that song, o have no idea who sang it.  But the praise given out can make so much happiness!  Just thinking of our little ones and how happy they are to bring a page they colored or a picture they drew to us.  Especially because they know I save them in a special file after they have been on the refrigerator!  Or praise when someone makes something:  cookies, welding art, or whatever the gift is.  It can change lives which is what it’s all about!      Praise for the special “Winning Words” each day!====JACK:  A song that I learned in Sunday School went this way..."Jesus is the sweetest name I know,  And He’s just the same as His lovely name,  And that’s the reason why I love Him so;  Oh, Jesus is the sweetest name I know." ====JUDY:   How pretty and comforting.  I’ve never heard it but I will see if my organist friends can find it and play it for me.  !

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:    Nothing perks up a child's hearing like praise!  Something we should all do more of!  When given words of praise or appreciation, you are spurred on to continue and do even better!  I remember Guy Lombardo, but did not remember that  was his "slogan" .  I remember for awhile teens were saying "that was Bad!. .Meaning sweet or good!! Go figure!  Your WW are a sweet treat to readers! !====JACK:  Do you remember growing up with this slang?  Cheesey, Fuddy Duddy, In Cahoots, Flip Your Wig, A Gas.====OAKS:  Among many others, yes! Somethings were Rad! Some folks were Goofey; etc. It's all kind of a blur by now!

No comments: