Monday, January 22, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 1/22/18
“Nine-tenths of wisdom is being wise at the right time.”  (Theodore Roosevelt)  How often have you heard (or said): Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda?  An article in Psychology Today asks, What is the worst emotion you can imagine?  Sadness, or maybe, fear, anger, frustration?  The P.T. writer claims that it’s, regret.  How often have you said, “If only..?”  Missed chances are a bane.  However, the upside is: “At least I tried!”  Next time…”I think I can, I know I can.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Must be referring to the Minnesota Viking fans this morning, Jack?!?! ====JACK:  In Minnesota today, it's probably a combination...sadness, anger, frustration AND regret ...  over what coulda and shoulda been.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Reminds me of the little engine that could which was my favorite 📚 years and which I have become reacquainted with my 👍 grandchildren ====JACK:  We have a book of Grimm's Fairy Tales.  After a re-reading, some of those tales are pretty grim.====SHIRL:  Some were downright scary especially the big bad wolf====JACK:  ...and even Hansel and Gretel.  A bloodthirsty witch wants to capture them, cook them and eat them.  A children's story?

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Hindsight always seems to be 20/20.  Someone once asked me if I regretted not staying in the military.  I had given it serious thought.  But then I would have never met my first wife, had my daughter, or met my current wife.  Wouldn't trade that for anything.  Sometimes I think God has a grand plan, and that the saying "things happen for a reason" is part of that.  Can be confusing.........grand plan, free will,....?????====JACK:  I have problems with life being according to God's plan.  It takes away personal responsibility (free-will).  You may have no regrets, as do I.  But, I know of others who live in remorse..."If only...."RS:  I have plenty of regrets........it's just that some decisions, if different, would have placed me on a totally different path in life.  When I look at the regrets I hope it's so I can make better choices in the future.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Ah regret!  Most people have things they regret...I know I do.  Regret would be my worst emotion because you can get over fear, sadness, anger but regret stays with you. ====JACK:  Whatever the feeling...there's a time to let go and to move on.  Sometimes, easier said than done.====JUDY:  It is, especially when you lose a beloved one.  Also keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

FROM JB:  I the worst emotion is sadness when it is paired with loss of hope. It quietly eats away at who you are and/or who you can become. Anger, frustration and sometimes fear will frequently move a person to do something (many times the wrong thing), but a sad and hopeless person can disappear from view and because they are not seen - no one helps.====JACK:  Psychologists have their opinions, usually based on professional studies, but our feelings are our feelings, regardless of how others might feel.  If it's sadness, it's sadness.  If it's regret, it's regret. 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I don't know that this ties in with WW today (tho I think they are probably true) but the words of Alexander Solzhenitsyn defines  the line that deals with regrets: "The line separating Good and Evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties, either---but right through every human heart---and through ALL human hearts."  We all seem have intrinsic knowledge of good and evil, but  sometimes justify the latter, for whatever reason.  Wisdom, which is the wise use of knowledge, surely does come with age, for most of us! ====JACK:  A case can be made to see emotions as a good thing.  Feelings are important.  The problem comes when we become obsessed those feelings.  "Let it go!"

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  there is a joke Jack about a fellow who was dying and he called the Viking head office to ask if 6 Vikings could be at his funeral.  when asked why he wanted 6 Vikings to come to  his funeral, he said,  "all my life the Vikings have let me down so it is only fitting that they let me down one last time!".  i think this pretty much says it all.   but it was a good run, as they say.  just not enuff "juice" to get them to the finish line====JACK:  It's only a game.  There's always next year.





No comments: