Friday, January 19, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 1/19/18
“Only the mediocre are always at their best.”  (Jean Giraudoux)  I like the sound of, mediocre, but I don’t like what it stands for…less than the best.  In school, under the pressure of time (and laziness), I was mediocre.  I’ll always be thankful for the teacher who looked at my test grade and said, “Jack, you can do better than this.”  Now, even as I write the Winning Words, I often use “delete” in order to write them better.  Life deserves the same attention from us.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Who is to say what mediocre is?====JACK:  The teacher's grade mark describes mediocre.  Grades never seemed to challenge me.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  you were mediocre? seriously? kids! school is wasted on them... ====JACK:  Your father never remembered me for getting good grades...but he never forgot my mischievousness.====LIZ:  i’d have thought you were an A student... but you were one of the fun kids! me, too.   i got As if i were so inclined, but somehow i always aced tests... that’s what got me thru!  well, you & i are plenty smart, & i dare say we are excellent writers w/perfect grammar... so there!====JACK:  From my own life, I've learned that what you see does not tell the whole story.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My mother helped me to learn that it was wise to double check things....it was a great learning....I found her report card from seventh grade and her average in math for the year was 100....which essentially means she didn't make a mistake during the course of the entire year....double checking pays off! ====JACK:  I've kept many of my report cards, but they're not for others to see.  In the Moline Schools grading system, a score of 100 would be labeled, "E," for EXCELLENT!====JOHN:  My mother went to grade school in Sandwich, I'll.    She graduated from Moline High School and Augustana...a good Swede!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Yes, not just in "achievements" but being the best we can be in our interactions with others.  I find that to be a tough challenge with all of the self-centered and selfish things we can buy in to, and our unwillingness to listen to other points of view and try to understand them.====JACK:  Brainpower is a great asset, but, to me, the ability to interact positively with others is of greater value.  The wrong word at the wrong time can create all kinds of havoc.====RS:  Amen -  think before speaking.====JACK:  I thought that "Hoof and Mouth Disease" was a horse ailment, but it's a human disease.  More common than that virus is one called, "Foot in Mouth Disease."  I've had it a few times.====RS:  Me too - fortunately is not lethal - yet.

FROM JR IN PALM SPRINGS:  my brilliant friend....never in your life time have you ever been "mediocre"====JACK:  Sometimes others have seen me better than I've seen myself, and sometimes I've seen myself better than others have seen me.  As, Pontius Pilate asked Jesus: "What is truth?"

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It’s hard to believe you were ever mediocre!  We all could do better, I know I could.====JACK:  Before WW 2, a German immigrant family joined our church.  The children were very bright and had many successes.  One Sunday, the father stood up and said, "I blame the Church for how our children have turned  out."  Of course, he was giving credit to the Church.  I blame God for helping me to escape mediocrity and live a better life. ====JUDY:  What a wonderful way to give a compliment!  I blame God for helping us get through the trials of this life.  Without him, I would never had made it!  God is good all the times!  Thank you for the memory!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Our child with the highest IQ was not the best student; and was the only one who didn't finish college, (the other 3 went on for Masters) but when he had to "grow up" and support a family, he always held positions that required a college degree, and the last one usually a Masters, so he surpassed Mediocre! He had people skills, and that is so often a requirement for success in the business World.  Mediocre would not be most people's goal in life, but sometimes people get beaten down, and accept it.====JACK:  I know of people who were very discouraged, becaus an A- kept them from getting straight As.  "What did I do wrong?"   I got an A in Phys Ed.  Grades didn't necessarily mean that I was a bad (or even mediocre) student.

No comments: