Monday, December 04, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/4/17
“The world is not yet exhausted; let me see something tomorrow which I never saw before.”  (Samuel Johnson)  I wish I could see news that a cure for an “incurable” disease has been found.  I wish that something new would push “politics” off of the front page.  I’m an optimist.  I believe that wishes can come true.  I also believe that “This is my Father’s world, O let me ne’er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler, yet.”    ;-)  Jack 

FROM CZB IN NH:  I agree!  I get particularly discouraged when people present Christians as non-caring, evil capitalists.  There is a trend to align the GOP with Christianity.  A couple of my good, caring, liberal friends are posting this on Facebook right now.  I’d like to respond, don’t quite know how.  I have tried to talk about it when people are stereotyping Christians and people shy away from me, get uncomfortable.   It is funny because these same people fight against racism,  gender bias etc. (which I agree with) but this too is prejudice and bias.  Any advice?====JACK:  When people make fun of "conservatives" praying before they act on making policy that negatively affects the poor and middle class and is seemingly hypocritical...I would ask them to write a prayer that they might give in such a situation.  Really...and...seriously!  And what response would they want from Jesus?====CZB:  Good idea.  I’ll let you know how it goes…

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I am an optimist also....but, I am convinced that God works in a broken world...that is why the symbol of Christianity is a cross====JACK:  I wonder if God is ever pessimistic when it comes to mankind?  ...or is he a cockeyed optimist who "don't make junk?"

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  we had former bishop Mark Hanson at our Forum Hour yesterday at sotv.  he was dy-no-mite!  so articulate in naming and addressing some of the great issues of our time.  i had almost forgotten how prophetic and insightful Mark can be.====JACK:  People like Mark (and you) are good at pointing out the problems.  What I'm looking for are workable solutions.  It reminds of someone who asked the churchgoer, "What did the preacher talk about today?"  "He talked about sin."  "What did he say about it?"  "He's against it."  ====PAUL:  Mark did offer some solutions too.  just don't time to share them with you today.  i will later if i can.   btw, that quote is from Silent Calvin Coolide.  a man of very few words.  he had gone to church,  his wife was sick at home, and she asked him about the sermon when he got home again.====JACK:  I'm not talking about solutions, I'm talking about "workable" solutions that will get both sides to come together and work toward resolving the issue...not necessarily to the liking of both sides.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Enjoy each day! We r still here for a reason!====JACK:  I've seen this response from you on several occasions...which seems to indicate that you really believe it.  Good for you!  It means that you are sure that God is at work in your life in all circumstances.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It would be nice wouldn’t it.  Got  a call from A.  He wanted to know if anyone could baptize someone.  Yes of course.  He has Bible Study and many guys come.  One wants to be baptized because he accepted Christ.  God works in our lives and in others lives when we plant seeds.  Sometimes we don’t see the blossoms but there are seeds right now starting to bloom.  Keep watching, they’ll show up!  I’m an optimist too and there is Good News but it’s not in the news!====JACK:  Radio newscaster, Gabriel Heatter, often began his broadcasts by saying, "There'd good news tonight."  There is good news in the news, even today.  You just have to look harder for it.
====JUDY: I don’t remember him but I like his announcement!  It’s true...you have to look a little but it’s there.====JACK:  He was before your time...the 1940s.   His "good news tonight" often referred to victorious battles during WW 2.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Or the words in "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day": "Then pealed the bells more loud and deep; God is not dead, nor does he sleep, the Wrong shall fail, the Right prevail, with peace  on Earth, good will to men."  Yes there are still new thing in our world to learn, if we have eyes to see, and ears to hear.  We can't lose Hope, even in present political circumstances!! ====JACK:  Ultimately...the wrong shall fail, the right prevail.  But many of us cry out (like the Israelites in the wilderness), "How long, O Lord, How long?"  We are an impatient people.  We need to be a people of faith.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  Mark and I just got back from China. A wish come true for me. I learned once again that we are more alike than different. Thanks for a great song of the day. ====JACK:  How will you work that experience into a teaching opportunity for the children?

FROM  MY SEM ROOMMATE:  AMEN and AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!====JACK:  I guess that means, You agree!
  










No comments: