Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/13/17
“Don’t you ever let a soul tell you that you can’t be exactly who you are.”  (Lady Gaga)  Stefani Germanatta considered herself to be a misfit in school.   Her peers labeled her, eccentric.  It takes an unusual person to go beyond that and call herself, Lady Gaga.  This Gaga has come to be known as an entertainer…with a brain.  So, don’t be discouraged if you’re considered to be outside of the “in” group.  Jesus said, “The last shall be first, and the first shall be last.”   ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  more good words today.  thanks, Jack.  i think lots of youth struggle with self-worth and identity in those teen years.  maybe this coming generation will be helped by the likes of Lade Gaga. ====JACK:  I recall teaching 8th grade confirmation students as being more difficult than 7th and 9th graders.  Teaching 9th graders was the most fun of all.

FROM PM IN THE AM:  I love this! Do you have a copy of all these emails? Or are they saved somewhere? If you made a book of all of them I’d buy a few to give to my kiddos on their 13th birthday. There are so many lessons I’d love talk about with them when they are a little older!  For now, I’m going to start saving them in a folder. ====JACK:  Yes, Jack's Winning Words are available online, dating  back to some where in the mid 1990s.  A reader once had the blog printed into a book which was sold on Amazon.  All copies of the printing were sold, and there's no reprint.  I don't even have a copy.  The first quote used, as I recall, was:  "Virtue is learned at mother's knee,  Vice is learned at other joints."  I used to save the quotes in a cigar box, but now the computer is the saver.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I was never a part of the "in" group in the SE Michigan Synod....I considered that as a blessing.====JACK:  With the passage of time and the updating of the obituary column, I'm not part of the handful of survivors...the new "in group."  I'm reminded of Frost's mending Wall..  "Before I built a wall I'd ask to know  What I was walling in or walling out,  And to whom I was like to give offence.  Something there is that doesn't love a wall, That wants it down."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  She is strange to me but she says what she means and she is an advocate for those “different”.   Jesus has a reason for who we are and who we aren’t.  Aren’t we glad he lives us for us?!?====JACK:  Jesus was criticized for hanging around with "religious outsiders."  That didn't bother him, because they were his friends.====JUDY:  Now a days we are the outsiders in many ways.  We have the ability to make a difference in this world.  Even if we just feed the birds...of which there are hundreds on all of our feeders today.  I was out last night around 11:30 making sure they were all filled.   Amazon has a new site where you can purchase necessary items for the homeless and have them delivered!  Now that’s making a difference.  I don't know a whole lot about the site but I mean to check it out.   We are blessed here in Detroit because there are a lot of places for the homeless to get help.  Probably not enough yet.  Mitch Albom has done quite a bit himself.====JACK:  Not to be negative, but I read that bird-feeding iis for the enjoyment of people and is not necessary for the welfare of birds.  I should research further to find out.
   




No comments: