Friday, December 30, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 12/30/16
“I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.”  (Homer)  I went to Snopes to authenticate this quote and came up with Dan Quayle and Barak Obama.  I’ll go with Homer.  Homer, the Greek writer, lived long before Jesus.  Discussions about “God” seem to be almost as old as man.  As we look ahead to 2017, there is a natural apprehension about the unknown.  I find comfort in the hymn, “Our times are in they hand, O Lord.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Another favorite church song of mine comes to mind:
I Know Who Holds Tomorrow (Unknown writer)

I don't know about tomorrow
I just live from day to day
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to gray
I don't worry o'er the future
For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside Him
For He knows what is ahead

Chorus:
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

====JACK:  Good song...God fit!

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  For all those who have no belief in a "higher power" it's understandable they may have a lot of apprehension about what is coming in 2017 and beyond.  For myself I'll go with Homer, believing as I do that the Power in control of the universe holds the future, and I don't have to worry about what the future holds.====JACK:  We use the word, God, to stand for that "power" that creates and sustains all of creation. Each mind has its understanding of this power. Homer did it in his way.  You do it in your, and I, in mine.  It's amazing how some people know so much about the unknowable.  Christmas is an attempt by God to reveal himself.

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you for the perfect new year greeting.  I am paying it forward to those I appreciate in my life.  To you dear Pastor - a healthy joyous new year.  Looking forward to another year of profound morning words.====JACK:  When I sit down at the computer at 4:30 am each day, I encourage myself with the belief that some people are going to read what I send out.




No comments: