Thursday, December 29, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 12/29/16
“Everybody has difficult years, but a lot of times the difficult years end up being the greatest years.”  (Brittany Murphy)  Happy New Year! is a common greeting, but 2016 has been far from a happy one for some folks.  “Don’t worry!  Be happy!” is easier said than done, especially during the down times.  One of the blessings of aging is the ability to see things in perspective.  Sometimes an artist adds shadows to make a painting more beautiful.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HY YO SILVER:  What a clever perspective. Shadows enhance the beauty.====JACK:  All sunshine makes a desert.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Yes -  Hope, work and pray for the best, and prepare for the worst.  Have to admit I have a lot of trepidation about the direction our country will go with our new President and Republican controlled congress.  In the end, I believe it will come down to what we do, and not what our elected leaders do, which we may be able to influence, but not control.====JACK:  It seems that in every presidential election cycle we are led to beleiev that everything depends on who wins or loses the election.  God is relegated to the back row, unless he can be called upon to gain some votes.

FROM ST IN MICHIGAN:  I often say “in a matter of a moment” no one knows what is coming just around the corner.  Through my experience I recognize that I do not stand in anyone else’s shoes.
I only know that living life fully requires making that ongoing personal and emotional investment. Creating and building relationships, having and growing a family, facing the many personal and communal challenges that each of us face every day.  I am pleased that in the messages you send the common thread is about keeping our heads up and moving forward.====JACK:  I know of a person who regularly goes to a palm-reader to try and fore-see the life's events.  I can't understand why someone would want to do that.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My most difficult years were in Junior Hi.    Long ago and buried in the past.    Mostly good years since then.    Looking forward to 2017.====JACK:  My "worst year" was when I contracted polio at age 16 and had to be confined to home for a year.  Tutoring allowed me to keep up with schoolwork.  That year ultimately became my "best year," because it set me on course to become what I am today.  That experience has helped me to see how the worst can become the best with a belief and faith in God.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We've had one of those years.  But, it's hard to dwell on the bad times when there were so many shining moments through the year.====JACK:  Isn't it great to be able to see things in perspective?  ...and to see God in the equation?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'd surmise that most of us would not choose to relive the difficult year, but  that doesn't mean there wasn't some happiness is wrestling with the challenges...Essayist Joseph Epstein made the comment a few yrs. ago that "The good life has a great deal to do with contentment and satisfaction; and nothing whatsoever to do with that fool's gold called happiness." He has a point!  But "Don't worry, be happy" does, also!====JACK:  As you look back on your 2016, there are some things that were more important than who won, or lost the election, aren't there?





No comments: