Friday, December 23, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 12/23/16
“Man is what he believes.”  (Anton Chekhov)  Chekhov, the famous Russian writer, said that he got his “talents” from his father and his “soul” from his mother.  During this season of holy-days, it might be interesting to recall where we got the beliefs we cherish at this time.  The basic ones, my soul, came from close family, and those family beliefs were refined by college and seminary professors…and by life events.  Where did your soul come from?    ;-)  Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I speculate that my "soul" came down from generations of ancestors and my "beliefs" have been and are being formed in the crucible of daily experience as my immediate family members strive to love each other and reconcile with each other the spirituality and religious expressions of faith that each has inherited. Somehow, I believe, we are given the family we need for this process to be able to work itself out, going clear back to Augustine and Luther, maybe in fact everyone. the wisdom is "don't walk away from our problems, paradise is embedded already within them."====JACK:  An expression that seems to be heard more and more is, "blended family."  I look upon it as a positive...a willingness to accept the fact that there are "differences" in this world.  They can be racial, ethnic, religious, educational, political, etc.  Life is a matter or making adjustments in order to be at peace with one another.  We've made progress, but we're not there, yet.

FROM D&S UP NORTH:  Jack, we so enjoy starting our day with your words of wisdom. ====JACK:  The fact that I get up at 4:30 am each day to send them out is an indicator of how much I like to be in touch with you and the others who get WWs.

FROM HUMBUG JOHN:  Pastor Jack,  Peace and blessings to you during this Holy Season.  Thank for writing Jack's Winning Words.  I look forward to reading them each day they come in.  I hope our paths cross soon.  Merry Christmas!  Peace.====JACK:  If, somehow, the calendar were able to turn backward, I'd like to go "south" from here and see the areas that you have helped preserve.  You are certainly one who has made a difference, and, I, for one, appreciate it.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I speculate that my "soul" came down from generations of ancestors and my "beliefs" have been and are being formed in the crucible of daily experience as my immediate family members strive to love each other and reconcile with each other the spirituality and religious expressions of faith that each has inherited. Somehow, I believe, we are given the family we need for this process to be able to work itself out, going clear back to Augustine and Luther, maybe in fact everyone. the wisdom is "don't walk away from our problems, paradise is embedded already within them."
sh in MI