Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 11/2/16
“Dress the monkey in a silk suit and it is still a monkey.”  (Argentine Proverb)  I recently received an invitation which said, “Evening wear only.”  The last time I wore a tux was at my wedding.  A monkey suit is clothing designed to make everyone look the same.  But under the tux (uniform) is still an individual.  Clothes don’t make the man (woman).  Jesus said, “Why do you worry about what you wear.”  Many things are more important than that.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  also,  lipstick on a pig does not change the pig all that much either.  have a good day, Jack, and pray for the nation.====JACK:  What does God do when he hears prayers with conflicting requests?  Oh, that's right...We should pray, "Thy will be done on earth..." ====SP:  Bingo!

FROM TARMART REV:  One might receive a lot of compliments, as I still do choosing to wear my white shirt, tie and vest on Sunday mornings instead blue jeans as many of the others on the platform are wearing. But we all are still individuals serving Christ and His Church from one degree to another.====JACK:  One of the advantages of being a Lutheran and wearing a robe for leading worship.....Some pastors wear shorts under the robe during the summer.

FROM TRIHARDER:  "Lipstick on a pig"?====JACK:  Here's another: "You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change it's still going to stink."  Is there a similar Yiddish expression?

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I received an invitation which said, "Evening wear only" so I went in my pajamas.====JACK:  Have you ever sung the song, "I wear my pink pajamas in the summer when it's hot...?"====RI:  No, I wear my sheer pajamas in the summer when it's hot.  I wear the pink p-j's in the winter when it's not.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Still, man DOES look on the outward appearance, so one does try to look as "presentable" as one can...   but  yes, it's true, clothes don't make us what we ARE...and even with good first impressions, one must follow through with  kindness, integrity, caring, faithfulness, etc. etc. etc.  I grew up with, "Well, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."  Lots of farmers on my dad's side of the family!====JACK:  I've sometimes wondered how Helen Keller made judgments of people.====OAKS:  Good thought.  She seemed very perceptive!

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Big smile.  “They” say a tux is the best investment a man can buy as you’ll wear it so often that it will “pay for itself”; not in your case?  Women spend so much on the bride gown and never ever wear it again where men typically rent and will then need to rent again and again.  The lilies of the field is one of my favorite verses.  Thanks for bringing it to mind today. ====JACK:  I suppose you remember the movie, "Lilies of the Field."  That's the kind of "religious" film that I like.

No comments: